Timming belt

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GK1100 Interstate

Timming belt

Postby robertduss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:56 pm

I was told that I need to change the timming belt on my 1983 Interstate. Is there a problem with the belt or the bike? Also is there any other problem associated with this bike that I should be aware of? Since I new to this sport, I would like to know what to expect from experience rider. Thank you.

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: Timming belt

Postby MJSantos » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:22 pm

The normal rule with the belts is if you do not have any past history then replace them. You can get somewhere around 40,000 mi on a set. But enviorment factors can shoten the useful life. Winter storage, bike that has sat for a long period, excess heat dry climate. These factors will cause the belts to loose teeth or break. The engine is a zero tolerance motor. This means these is no extra roon in the cylinders between the valves and pistons. If a belt goes you engine is toasted. Not worth taking chances.
The only other problems these bikes are known for are dirty carbs rasing cane with you and brakes. Not because of design but remember your dealing with a 28 year old piece of machinery but was built rock solid.

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:48 am

If you dont know how old the belts are, then change them out. Belts are cheap compared to having to replace your engine if one breaks while she is running. NAPA sells the same belt for about half of what mother Honda wants. The belts you want are Gates # T274 or NAPA #250274
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 pm

What they said. Change them. They are around $15 on Amazon.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing interstate

Postby bobalooby1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Your being told correctly as to what to do about the timing belts....If you are not sure of thier condition then change them. Just a few degrees out of time and it could be over for your engine. I own the exact same goldwing. And the only other commonly known issue with the '83 was the Stator. (Generator) Mother Honda did not give our '83 enough electrical output from the stator's... 300 watts @ 5000 rpm. It requires 277 of those to keep the bike itself running and charge the batttery.. At idle thier is barely any avalible power to keep our battery's charged until reaching 1500 rpm. So you can see that there is more than a possibility of our '83 living off of just battery power below 1500 rpm. as in moving along in slow moving traffic. because of this there is little to no room to add much in the way of accessorys to our '83 like extra lighting as long as the'83 remains stock from Honda.. There simply is not enough current availible for lots of extras. Asking for more power from the stator leads to excessive heat and stator failure. and that is simply a bad week ahead. Since the engine must be removed from the frame for stator replacement. Other than normal maintainence. the wimpy stators honda provided on our'83 was the only known issue with this year model. compared to the 1200 wing which was worse. Otherwise the 1983 goldwing is among the most reliable Goldwing Honda offerd. And lots of them are still running and being ridden daily. You have a good one there! Take care of her. and you'll have plenty of smiles. to go along with all the miles.! :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”