Trying to buy a 1982 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
sergitin32
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Trying to buy a 1982 Aspencade

Postby sergitin32 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:41 am

I found this bike on CraigsList, with issues and "lower than expected" price. I would like to hear your opinions regarding this case and what should I be aware of if I get to go there to check this bike up:

Ad goes: "1982 Honda Aspencade Goldwing. 800$ (Can)
Body in good shape for its age with no major problems.
Engine needs work beyond my limited capabilities and budget. "

After communicating with the owner he said this:
"the bike has 99,000 miles, it hasn't been ridden for about a year.
the issue is that the cylinder heads and the cylinders themselves are rusty on the right side.
i don't have any records, the bike is relatively new to me.
i got it hoping to get it running but i ran into this problem which is beyond what i can do."

My thoughts right away is, blown cylinder-head gasket , coolant leaking into the cylinders=rust. If this were the scenario, would cleaning the cylinder and head, plus installing a new gasket make the trick? How can I be assured the head is not warped?

Is there any other further conditions that could cause this and I might be missing?
I don't like the no record thing, mainly because with this issue would point to a bad maintenance history and possibly an abused engine.
Is 99,000 miles a high mileage engine for this bikes?
Anything I should be aware of to look for, specially in these bike/year. Any threads that you could point out to do my readings?

He also claims in his email that the rest of the bike is in good conditions only some paint fading...
Does the price sound fare or would you think there would be room to ask for a lower price?

I only have motorcycle mechanic experience working in my 1985 Honda Elite CH150 scooter, I love this bike and thats why I am trying to keep it Honda for my next bike. I also have done some `top end` work in my Volvo 240. So I am not afraid of some elbow grease and long hours to make things happen, I actually love doing mechanics on my toys.

Thanks for your answers in advance and have a good day.

Sergitin. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Trying to buy a 1982 Aspencade

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 pm

It's certainly possible that the problems are exactly what you're surmising. A blown head gasket could also indicate a warped block.

The answer is...you won't know until you get the bike home and open it up.

If the engine isn't salvageable, take it out and strip it for spares, spend $200 and buy a used 1100 engine somewhere. You're still getting a pretty decent deal.

As for service records....don't hold your breath! We're talking about 30+ year old bikes here, most of whom have had many previous owners. Count yourself lucky if your bike comes with an owners manual, let alone any evidence of maintenance having been done! :)

That said...these bikes are reliable and will go forever with some regular maintenance done to them. The worst possible thing you can do to them is let them sit.

sergitin32

Postby sergitin32 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Any special tools needed for getting a new engine in? Is this something I can do by my self alone?
Most of the time I work alone...
I guess to know if the block is warped or not I do need some special measurement tool?. When you mean warp you mean anywhere, including the cylinder? Or just more likely to get warp in the surface where it meets the head-cylinder gasket? Or I guess, here thinking about it; It could warp anywhere and the matching for these two surfaces would go uneven, but isn't it then that maybe some machining could make this savable if it is still within tolerance as per the piston travel and compression ratio etc?

I will need to download an manual, although I think I did a few months ago when I got the Goldwing bug.
Any other very common issues for this bikes I should be aware of? Like regarding the brakes? or the suspension stiffness adjust thingy? Starter seams to be something people goes through the maintenance a lot, for what I've read in the little time I've had here.
Electrical issues of any kind to have in mind?

I am trying to insert some pictures of the ad in this poster but i don't know how to... will look into it later.

Thanks lots for your prompt answer.

Sergio.

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Serg...

Follow this link to my earlier post. It contains a link to my downloadable pdf files of the honda service manual.

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4443
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

sergitin32

Postby sergitin32 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Thank lots for the manual, good work!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 pm

I think your title should be Thinking of buying a 82 Not trying to, Go buy it already, you never said you were short on money..ha ha.. No really, if you have to wait this long to decide, hold out for one that's running , this one sounds like it's a mess..It could turn into a nightmare, you can find a good running bike for another grand..Nobody wants to lose their butt on a deal, and you won't because the parts on the bike will get your money back if all goes bad for ya..Just sell the parts..Or like WingAdmin. said get you a another engine, you will have some really good parts for it.. That's what I would do..He hasn't steered me wrong yet.. :D I can tell you this much, if you decide to get it , you will have a bunch of really cool dude's here to help you with it..I think it's cool to show the bike in photo's and your progress, we all like that I think..Keep us posted, There's a guy on here putting Harley pipes on his Goldwing and we can't wait to hear it when he get's done..WingAdmin has a 82 Aspy, so you have a great source with him alone..Now you have the manual..Do what You wish...

sergitin32

Postby sergitin32 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:35 am

You were very sharp in your post littlebeaver. Nailed it, I was too slow. A mix of inexperience with family situation awareness, budget cautiousness etc makes a simple situation more complicated than just go for it and sale the parts. The bike was sold today.

I don't think I moved that slow thou. I read the ad yesterday and send an email, after couple mails back and forward I posted my first post ever here. Agreed with the owner to call him today after 2 pm and called around 4 with WingAdmin advice in my head. I had my mind set and was already making the "excuses list" for my wife to understand why I do need another winter project. She just don't get it. :? ... Something to understand when you live in a condo with a tinny parking spot and strata laws against mechanics done there, lol. I work late nights in my projects and avoid the strata people, lol.

Anyway, the guy didn't pick up the phone and I left a message (bad sign) I got a snooze and woke up just to call again and he told me he sold the bike. I wasn't aware this was such a sweat deal since its been maybe 3 months I have been looking to these bikes, so I am not so price aware yet. Also I needed to tow the bike back home and i was trying to get a hold of a friend with a truck to save that money too.

Thanks for all the advices, its always nice to know there is a community backing you up, I am a more savvy person now than yesterday and that already makes this lost project a good thing.

I will get one sooner that later, true is they do not go for just a grand more here in Canada, they are around 3000 for the early 80s... So I might hold it even more and get something like earlier 90's. I've heard this are really the sweet spot for this bike in regards to price/quality.

Thanks very much guys, keep the hard work.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:48 am

Sorry to hear that... What a bumber...I know about the condo thing..Did that and it sucked, all the rules..Something will come up.. :D I think things worked out the way they were supposed to, that bike will probably be a nightmare for somebody..

sergitin32

Postby sergitin32 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:58 am

Ha, you are a nice guy, thanks for the comforting words... Actually I was looking at an older ad of the same bike by Jan 26th, but with no pics. Pics looked good they were what moved me forward... But I didn't realized there was an ad before the one I read. I mean I didn't realized it was the same bike till now. Anyway, I prefer to think it would have been a great bike and some one more local (bike was a little far away) and luckier will have the best time with it. Hope the buyer enjoys it and do not just strip/sale...
For sure it wasn't the one for me... I will get the right one when it comes, and will share the experience here, for sure!
Thanx again. :mrgreen:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 am

When I said warped, I meant the head itself, which can be checked with a (known) flat surface.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:39 am

I have a question, do most machine shops resurface heads, like for a goldwing, what's anyone's experience on this.. Usually the head gets wharped due to heat is that right?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”