Dumb newbie question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
HadCancer
Motorcycle: Lost my 80 & 82 Goldwings
1999 Yamaha Venture

Dumb newbie question

Postby HadCancer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:45 pm

I am having a 1982 Goldwing restored. I also have a 1980 Goldwing as a parts bike. I finally got the mechanic to come and look at the huge amount of parts in a very large box (a fairing was in it and lots of other parts.) The mechanic got real exited when he saw all the chrome parts. I guess the prior owner had parts chromed that did not come on a stock Goldwing. He pulled out a big piece of chrome with lights on it. I asked him what was it. He told me it was a tow bar for a Goldwing. After looking at it closely the were spots of rust (1/8 to 1/4 inch round) on it and the mechanic said not worth it to put on the bike. My question is would it be worth the money to have it rechromed and sell it here or e-bay or just throw it away.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Dumb newbie question

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Is the rust actually though the chrome surface? Have you tried polishing it out?

Chrome plating is not cheap and the parts level of desirability may be low. Do a sold items search on eBay and get an idea as to value. My guess is that it will cost you more than you will get.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:43 pm

What is a Goldwing tow bar? Been around Wings since inception in 1975, never heard of a tow bar for one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scratcho
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I
1982 GL1100 S
1978 GL1000
1976 GL1000 x2

Postby scratcho » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:56 pm

I think he means a trailer hitch.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 pm

scratcho wrote:I think he means a trailer hitch.

With lights on it??????????????????????????????

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:16 am

cbx4evr wrote:Is the rust actually though the chrome surface? Have you tried polishing it out?

Chrome plating is not cheap and the parts level of desirability may be low. Do a sold items search on eBay and get an idea as to value. My guess is that it will cost you more than you will get.

Thanks for the info. I know about rechromed bumpers are a lot less than new, but nothing about cost on tow bar/hitch lights. I will try to polish it out. My thinking was it may fit on newer Goldwings which would generate more interest. Also on the 1980 and 1982 Goldwing there is a switch by the accelerator. On the 82 it is cheap plastic and on the 80 it is chromed metal. The guy fixing my bike told me it was the cruise control, but I lookd it up and both models did not have cruise control. Makes me think that the guy fixing my bike may well be full of garbonzo beans. Anybody out there know what it really is?

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:

Yes, it has lights on it. If it was installed I think it would be the widest part of the bike.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:57 am

Also on the 1980 and 1982 Goldwing there is a switch by the accelerator. On the 82 it is cheap plastic and on the 80 it is chromed metal. The guy fixing my bike told me it was the cruise control, but I lookd it up and both models did not have cruise control. Makes me think that the guy fixing my bike may well be full of garbonzo beans. Anybody out there know what it really is?[/quote]

These items are if Im not mistaken from your description throttle locks. Twist the throttle set "the switch" and it clamps down holding the throttle where you set it. Looks something like this

If you can post some pics of the parts , Im sure we can tell you what they are and if you want to sell them off I bet you can find buyer here too.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:37 am

HadCancer wrote:
tfdeputydawg wrote:

Yes, it has lights on it. If it was installed I think it would be the widest part of the bike.

Sounds more like a lighted saddlebag guard than a trailer hitch to me :?: Maybe you could post a pic of it.

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 pm

RoadRogue wrote:Also on the 1980 and 1982 Goldwing there is a switch by the accelerator. On the 82 it is cheap plastic and on the 80 it is chromed metal. The guy fixing my bike told me it was the cruise control, but I lookd it up and both models did not have cruise control. Makes me think that the guy fixing my bike may well be full of garbonzo beans. Anybody out there know what it really is?

These items are if Im not mistaken from your description throttle locks. Twist the throttle set "the switch" and it clamps down holding the throttle where you set it. Looks something like this
thumb.jpg

If you can post some pics of the parts , Im sure we can tell you what they are and if you want to sell them off I bet you can find buyer here too.[/quote]

Yes that is the part. It is plastic on the 82 and looks cheap and cheezy. I told the mechanic to switch to the metal chrome one on the 1980. I am happy to hear that the mechanic knew what he was talking about. It appears to be an early form of cruise control. I will post pics of all the parts left over. The mechanic took all the parts except for the engine parts. Again, thanks for the info., as I am paying the mechanic more money to restore than I paid for the 2 bikes. Luckily so far, everything is minor and caused from the long period it just sat. He had the clutch resurface, new plugs, tune up, new gas, clean carb.. The most expensive part will be the paint job. Since I am an amateur graphic artist I am going to have some of my artwork on the bike. I plan to do a barberian woman and her pet dragon on the bike and or a vampire pinup with script saying "Night Flyer". I would put a few pictures here but, I am not sure how to do it. I think I will give you a link where most but not all my images are. Some are adult content only. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php or

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 am

Well The restoration project is in the home stretch, but will not have my artwork on it because I also bout last week a 2007 Honda Rebel 250 with 6100 miles on it for 1600.00. I am using this bike to practice on as it is the same bike used in the training class I will be taking. I will probably sell on of the bikes and my artwork would hurt the bikes price as only a few would appreciate. Bought the paint already it will be "Ice Crystal Turquoise Pearl". I hope it looks as good as the paint suppliers photos. I also bought an aftermarket drivers backrest and chrome cup holder. I am going to try some of my unfinished pictures I was thinking about putting on the bike.
Attachments

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”