1981 GL1100 Horn Switch

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

1981 GL1100 Horn Switch

Postby N2PPN » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Happy Winter! (oy),

I was wondering if anyone had ever opened up the horn switch assembly on their Wing?? I have intermittent contact in the switch (too may years of not having a relay for the air horns had "fried" the switch, the button has a "scorched mark" in it's center from being cooked up real good) and since it's all cold outside with all this friggin' snow on the ground here in metro NY, I thought I'd tackle a nagging issue on the old girl.... I hate having to hit the horn button a few times just to get the horn to operate, don't you???

Seen a few of 'em up for sale in a couple of places, but didn't know if I might be able to service/rebuild my horn switch instead.

Rich in Snowy LawnGuyland, New Yawk

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: 1981 GL1100 Horn Switch

Postby MJSantos » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:08 pm

It's been awhile but they come apart easy enough. The only thing in there is the button, spring and a metal plate. When it's depressed the plate makes contact across across solder button. Take it apart maybe a very easy fix. I should have taken pictures when I had it apart.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks,
I was pretty sure that the interior was compromised of something like that... All I probably have to do is clean the contacts and the "plate" and if they are really bad, re-coat them with some silver solder...

I will try to remember to take some pictures of mine as I do the fixup...

Thanks again and enjoy the SuperBowl!!!

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Damn!! I forgot to take pictures!! Sorry guys...

Finished the horn switch today, I had fixed it the other day, but when I re-soldered the wire back onto the horn switch contact plate, I must have not noticed it had "shrunk" some of the wire's insulation away from the solder joint.... when I replaced all the cross braces and stuff inside the switch assembly, the wire was making contact with the metal plate and the horn would continuously sound when I turned on my ignition ..... sheesh!!! So I called it quits until this afternoon. I opened it all up again and added a sleeve of shrink tubing over the wire's insulation so it would be able to cover the solder joint with the shrink tubing (which I had cut on an angle at the end where the solder joint to the switch was) slid it on the wire, re-soldered the connection once again, then slid the tubing over the solder joint and re-assembled the entire thing...

All works fine now and the horn button functions as if it were new again, now I can give a little blip of the horn to all the pretty ladies I see on the road.... =)

Rich
Ride Safe & Happy

(SNOW IS GONE HERE ON LAWNGUYLAND !!!!!! WOO HOO)

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”