carb rebuild - '81 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2009 Suzuki Boulevard

carb rebuild - '81 Interstate

Postby stancotreau » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Well, it is finally warming up a bit so I am going to continue my work on my '81 Interstate. I am getting ready to pull the carbs and rebuild them. It has been many years since I have worked on Carbs.....

any advice for pulling the GL1100 carbs?
how about rebuild kits? their pricing is all over the map, any good or bad vendors / kits out there?
things to watch out for?

any and all info is appreciated

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: carb rebuild - '81 Interstate

Postby MJSantos » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Make sure you pull the caps off of 1 &3 so the rack will clear the frame coming out the left side. Randaks is consider the top of the line. I would read over his tech tips for sure. Stay away from kits like the ones from Saber Cycle. Their stuff is lousy and will give you nothing but grief. A lot of times thses old carbs need nothing more than a good cleaning. make sure that the jet assemblies are removed and cleaned very well, surgically clean. If not you'll be pulling the carbs off two or three times before their right.

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Postby imfree » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:33 am

Be sure and check your air shutoff valves and the accelerator pump,Randakks has complete info for this rebuild,I would buy the kits from them they cost a little more,But they are worth every cent,Use there kits,follow there instuctions,And you only have it to do one time,Get her done its time to ride .BE SAFE,Joe

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 am

Getting the throttle cables off is a can try to take the air box out and reach down into get to them..I have to loosen my crash bars on the left side to get the carbs off. It's a tight fit a lot of wiggling and jiggling to get the carbs out. I also loosen the gas tank and knock it back 1/2" hat helps to..remove the fuel line and gas filter and change it out. When I reinstall I reroute the throttle cables outside the install and removal is easier and less of a bend in the cables. Also bench test your cabs for leaks before you re-install. Could save you lots of work, see the pic..Caps off, gas source attached and look into the jet tops..gas??? not good. Lots of good step by step carb cleaning threads on line at NGS and Saunders site also Randakk's. Also if you screw some 1/4" clear tubing into the drain ports..hold the ends up above the bowl lip put gas into the carbs you can see if you floats are set correctly..levels should be just below the bowl lip..kind of a real life check..carbs smut be level on your bench.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”