High idle problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
'ol pappy t
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

High idle problem

Postby 'ol pappy t » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Me again ! Want to keep issues seperate ( pressure in gas tank ) so it's easier to track down info. Now, I had the carbs rebuilt and sonic cleaned, came back looking tons better than when they left, here's the new issue, it is idling from 1900-2500 RPM and that ain't right. Did the carb cleaner spray around the tubes and such trick, nothing. Marked the choke bars from topside on both sides with marker paint and started it up and all seemed to function as it should. Manually moving and twisting all I could think of or see and nothing seems to be sticking. Pull the choke cable while running and it revs even more. Other than that it sounds and runs really well. I am willing to try and read all suggestions put forth on this one ! I have searched around forums but didn't see anything that I haven't tried or maybe missed the right one, I am getting older you know. ( I love using that ! ) Thanks in advance for any help people.

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: High idle problem

Postby MJSantos » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 pm

The three things I would look for would be:

1. Check to make sure that the main idle adjustment screw is resting against the stop. If not could be the throttle cable (Pull Cable) is too tight. I know on the 83 there's a second adjustment under the false tank to take up the slack then the one at the grip is for fine adjustment.

2. You checked for vacum leaks at the "O" Rings on the intake runners, How about the vacum advance hose connection to the #3 carb? It's easy to forget that one.

3. Lastly How about the sync? When they were rebuilt were they static adjusted on the bench? Could have one carb way off that would affect the idle.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”