shock adjustment

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100

shock adjustment

Postby jeffinpittsburgh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:41 am

i am trying to put air into my rear shocks, using a small electric pump, via. the air-stem valve beneath the side cover...
the problem...
it seems as that its not taking air, reason i am saying this is i get no more height, as if there is a hidden shut off valve other than the stem.
the "pressure gauge" on the pump rises slowly to a "good" reading, and will hold that reading, however the rear of the bike doesn't budge, even when i remove the pump
i tried it both on the kickstand, just to see if what i was doing was right, & also on the center stand...
is this possibly clogged & does it work the same as tire stem valve & could i replace the insert of this using a tire stem insert (seems the easiest process of elimination)
am i using the wrong kinda pump?
do i need a certain kind of attachment for my pump?
this is how easily i get disgusted...
does any1 have the $125 "airless" spring shocks they sell on ebay or at swap meets or am i just overlooking something
please stop me from buying something i dont need

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: shock adjustment

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:28 pm

If the pressure gauge is rising, then you're doing it right.

My bike doesn't "rise up" when I pump up the shocks. The higher pressure does give a somewhat firmer ride, and prevents the bike from bottoming out on bumps when I have a passenger or a lot of cargo, but there is no visible change when pressure is added. That said, I put new Progressive 416 air shocks on my rear wheel last year, and they added about an inch of ride height to the bike - put that down to the old, tired springs I was replacing!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”