oil light coming on

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

oil light coming on

Postby rjtribe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:17 am

This is my first post to the forum; it appears you folks really know your stuff so I'm hoping you can give me some suggestions. I recently bought a 1983 GL 1100 Interstate. It ran and sounded fine when I test drove it, but after trailering it home, I drove it about 25 miles and the oil light came on and the engine began clattering really badly. I parked it immediately and haven't started it since. Does the engine have an oil pump like a car engine? If the engine is not getting oil would this cause the clattering--and have I damaged the engine? Or is there some other explanation you fine folks can think of for the noise and the oil light coming on? Thanks for the help!

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: oil light coming on

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 am

Yes the engine does have a oil pump.In fact it has 2.Both are chain driven.Oil light came on and engine clatter:first cause,low oil level,clogged filter or pickup screen.Absolutely do not re-start the engine until you determine the cause.Check the oil level(center stand,site glass on the right side).If it's got oil,Get your money back.If low or no oil....well.... it don't sound good.You could change the filter,fill with oil,pull the plugs,spin the engine over with no spark plugs(eliminates stress on the crank).about 10 seconds should build oil pressure and turn off the light.If it doesn't,pull the screen and check for blockage.If the light goes off,start it and listen,You'll hear it .

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”