fog light wiring

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bobalooby1
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing interstate

fog light wiring

Postby bobalooby1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Dose any of you have link to a pictorial showing how to wire in my "Rivco" fog lights through a relay? I own an '83 interstate that had these mounted but were not wired in. (not enough voltage/amps is my guess) There is plenty of power nowdays since most all lamps have been switched to LED'S.... Plus, a larger capacity AGM battery. The rivco sealed beams are 35 watts each.. 35x2= 70watts total.. And the bike has a bumper with "11" peterson style marker lights. All running led's now. The PO was about to burn up the stator on this bike!. somewhere in this bikes history is why the fog lights were never used. And there is NO WAY i'm going to wire those fog lamps to the wimpy fuse block at the accessory terminal. This bike has a switch plate at the lower right hand storage pocket area (wingleader) And has 4 rocker switches. would like to have a pictorial i could print out showing how to take power from the battery through the use of a relay to power these fog lamps. i look foward to the increased saefty these lights will provide at night. Also, can anyone direct me to "Better" rocker switches than what i have been able to locate at Autozone? Light it up! "Bobalooby1" :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: fog light wiring

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:49 pm

I did precisely the same thing you did - change over to all LEDs, and add 35 watt driving lights.

I used a standard automotive relay, and put in a small lighted switch. This switch was wired to the accessory terminal. The switched side of the switch went to the coil of the relay, with the other side of the relay's coil going to ground.

I then ran a 14-gauge wire from the battery, with a blade fuse right next to the battery (to reduce the amount of unfused wire to be as small as possible). This wire went to one of the contacts of the relay, with the other contact connection going to the lights, and from there to ground.

This powered the lights directly from the battery using fresh, new, 14-gauge wire, but still made sure the lights couldn't be turned on (or left on!) without the key switch being turned on, because the coil of the relay was powered through the accessory terminal.

Eventually I noticed that I was still getting a bit of a draw down when sitting at idle in traffic, my stator could not keep up charging the battery. So I added one more relay, and connected it to my neutral switch, and wired the contacts in series with the lighted switch. This made it so that whenever my bike is shifted into neutral, the lights turn off.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Here try these switches for your new fog lights

http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/de ... 21_360_362

bobalooby1
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing interstate

Postby bobalooby1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:59 pm

lhelber wrote:Here try these switches for your new fog lights

http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/de ... 21_360_362

Thanks a bunch!... Saved in favorites.... These a less expensive than what i have seen elsewhere. (39.95 for one switch!)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”