Turn Signals not working on 83 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bfrawley
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Turn Signals not working on 83 Aspencade

Postby bfrawley » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:09 am

I have an 83 Aspencade. I have been having one problem after another with it. I started by replacing the electronic speed sensor on the front wheel as the previous own replaced it with the wrong sensor and it was not reporting the corrected speed. After doing that I noticed that the low beam was out. I doubt it is related but was frustrating because I figured it had something to do with the wiring under the front fork weight where the speed sensor plugs in. Turns out that it was just a burnt out bulb. Now after getting everything back together the turn signals won't work. It did this once before when I was taking the bags off to clean them up but when I unpluged all the leads to the rear turn signals and plugged them back in it started working again. What happens is that the front marker lights are on but when I hit the left or right turn signal they go out and the rear turn signals don't light up or flash.

I am not sure if I joggled something loose up front under the steering weight or if maybe the flasher is bad. I am going to pull the fairing and check the wiring under the steering weight again tonight. Is there anyway to test the flasher?

Also, as a test i tried unplugging the main fairing connection to take the front turn signals out of the equation. When I hit the turn signal the first time after that the rear signal flashed once or twice very quickly and then stopped. I wasn't able to make it happen again.

Any ideas?

imfree
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Re: Turn Signals not working on 83 Aspencade

Postby imfree » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:58 am

Find your green wire, goes from the bike to the fairing plug it in,no more problem

bfrawley

Postby bfrawley » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:06 am

I am assuming that the green is ground? Is it a separate wire or does it run through the main fairing harness/plug? I think I recall seeing a separate green wiring running between the bike and the fairing.

Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:53 am

It could also be a bad flasher unit. It's under the false tank, on the left side. Unplug the flasher, and you'll see there are three wires - a green, green/white, and grey. Short the green/white and grey together, then turn the turn signal switch on. It should light up the appropriate (left or right) turn signals WITHOUT flashing. If this happens, your flasher has failed. If it doesn't happen, then you've got a wiring problem somewhere.

bfrawley

Postby bfrawley » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks a lot guys. I did what you suggested WingAdmin and they lit up. I was actually able to get the flashing once or twice after I smacked the flasher with the handle of my screwdriver a few times but it stopped working again.

Do you guys know anything about replacing it with an automotive flasher or an electronic flasher? Any you recommend?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:41 am

You can put any automotive flasher in there that will fit, but if you ever want to consider using LEDs (and you don't want to have to remove the tank to switch out the flasher), I'd stick an electronic unit in there now.

bfrawley

Postby bfrawley » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 am

I was looking online at Autozone and they have a few from Tridon. After checking out Tridon's site, http://www.tridon.com.au, it appears that they make electronic flashers and electro-mechanical. All the ones that Autozone carries seem to be the electro-mechanical. Based on what I read the electronic flashers are load sensitive and the electro-mechanical ones aren't. So is the electro-mechanical one what I really want or do I need to search for a true electronic flasher?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:10 pm

True electronic flashers (those with no moving parts whatsoever) are quite expensive and hard to find. I haven't used one, but they shouldn't be load dependent.

The existing OEM electromechanical flasher works with a bimetallic strip. As power goes through the bimetallic strip and heats it up, one of the pieces of metal expands faster than the other, until it creates enough pressure to move it away from the contacts, opening the circuit - lights go off. Because there's no longer power flowing through it, the metal cools, until it moves back and re-engages the contacts - lights go on. At that point power flows through it again, heating it up, and the cycle repeats.

When you put some LEDs on your bike with an electromechanical flasher, there is less power flowing through the strip, so it doesn't heat up as much - still enough to open the contacts, but because it didn't get as hot, it takes less time to cool off, so it closes the contacts sooner. This is why it flashes faster when you draw less current.

If you switch to ALL LEDs, it's possible to draw so little current that the bimetallic strip won't heat up enough to open the contacts at all, the result being that it won't flash - it will just stay on.

What is commonly called an "electronic" flasher is in fact a hybrid - there is an electronic circuit that does the timing of the flash, and it actuates an electromagnetic coil which pulls the contacts in. It's essentially a relay with a flashing circuit built into it. It will flash at the same rate regardless of what is hooked up to it.

I put this electronic flasher on my bike when I switched it to LEDs, and it has worked great ever since.

bfrawley

Postby bfrawley » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for all of your help Wingadmin. I think I got if figured out. I few guys on a different Goldwing forum recommend a Tidon EP28, which I was able to pick up at Autozone last night. I would have used the one you recommend but I was looking for one I could just go out and get instead of ordering online. It seemed to do the trick. It is also supposed to work with LEDs should I ever want to go that route.

lukeinmexico
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Postby lukeinmexico » Sat May 02, 2015 7:42 pm

I have a similar problem on my 86 Interstate. I think I found the flash relay under the false tank, but the wires seem to be different colors. The wires I see are green, pink and white, and light green and black. Can someone tell me if I found the flash relay and which wires I should short to test it?
Thank you very much!
-Bobby
Attachments

Cadillac#1
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100

Postby Cadillac#1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:58 pm

FYI: I fixed my dead front turn signal lights and the headlight by finding a loose wiring harness on the faring. It started when my front right signal went out... shorty followed by the left...the rear lights would flash but only very fast as if the front bulbs were burnt but they were fine. I also blew the headlight fuse shortly after which in retrospect I think was because of the bad connection. I also replaced the bulb in the headlight after the fuse but it only worked for a week and then it went to so I didn't know if the 2 problems were interconnected.
On a lark I tugged at the wiring harness that plugs in a terminal on the faring on the clutch side and it was just sitting there loose. It wouldn't snap in tight however all the lights work perfect now and I think I can jerry-rig the harness with some electrical tape so it won't pull out again. Hey. I'm just thrilled I don't have to pay someone to find the short. Hope this helps someone save time, money and headaches because this site has helped me for other mechanical. Cheers.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:44 am

I almost never use electrical tape in automotive or motorcycle applications. Because of the high heat it is subjected to, the adhesive turns to slimy goop and hardens. The tape then just falls off. As well, the tape itself hardens over time and becomes brittle.

If you've got a connector that has a broken locking tab and is in danger of coming apart, if you don't have the parts or ability to replace the connector itself, I would put the connector together, then secure it by wrapping a wire tie around the two connector halves, so that when the wire tie is cinched up tight, it pulls the connectors tight together.

When I do have to use electrical tape (to insulate electrical connections) in cars or bikes because of clearance or other issues, I always wrap the electrical tape with a wire tie and zip it tight, to hold the electrical tape tight and keep the adhesive from leaking out and hardening when heated. I've been using this method for over 30 years and it hasn't failed me yet.

Cadillac#1
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100

Postby Cadillac#1 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:19 am

Good idea...I've been riding this bike for 3 years and I'm guessing the locking tab has been loose the whole time and it finally came out when I made a really right turn. Right now it's in there and working but probably not very secure so I'll think of something to keep it tight. I'm just glad I traced the source of the problem and if it does come loose I'll immediately know when I use either turn signal. Thanks for the advice.

battpack2004
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD Aspencade

Postby battpack2004 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:34 am

I had this problem and was on the verge of throwing the flasher unit away and buying a new one. The flasher would only work if you hit it with the back of screwdriver, but that wasn't possible while I was riding. If you want to give a repair a go then try this. You will need a fine tip soldering iron, a fine tooth hacksaw blade and some means of waterproofing after reassembling. The flasher unit can be withdrawn through the top of the dummy tank without having to remove anything.
The flasher unit is encased in an aluminium can or case that has a folded over lip holding the terminal plate (3 spade terminals) Carefully prise back the lip and if you are lucky the whole electronics will pull out of the case, if not you will need to put a very fine cut down the side of the casing to get a bit of movement allowing the withdrawal of the electronics. Once removed you will find a printed circuit board covered in what looks like silicon or hot glue, but due to its age is hard and crumbly, this can be carefully pulled away to reveal the print side of the circuit board.
Look for dry joints on the print side, I found about 4 obvious 'dry joints' but to be sure I resoldered all of the joints on the pcb. Don't worry there aren't that many. I tested the flasher by hooking the unit up to the wing using a towel for insulation and found it worked after my first attempt at the repair.
I used some silicon sealing tape to insulate the inside of pcb during reassembly and around the outside of the case for waterproofing once finished. Job done.
The above repair took about an hour start to finish and the flashers have worked every time since then, which was over 4 years ago.
I hope this helps

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:53 am

That's an awful lot of effort to fix something that can be replaced with a standard $10 automotive flasher relay.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”