83 interstate gas and temp gauges

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
captron44
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a aspencade

83 interstate gas and temp gauges

Postby captron44 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:38 am

I just want to express my appreciation for the fine information presented in these forums.
when my riding partner had a problem with his temp and gas guage the local Honda shop wanted to replace the entire wiring harness and the gauges. Then I read about the 7 volt regulator and ordered one and it was great. The part came in just a few days and was a snap to install. Thanks to all......captron44

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 83 interstate gas and temp gauges

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:20 pm

I know that we can't expect Honda mechanics trained to service GL1800 via the "pull and replace" method of "repair" to know all about our older bikes...but you would think that they would at least do a little bit of research first before trying to soak an owner for hundreds/thousands of dollars replacing things that don't have anything wrong with them. The (not so) funny thing is...what they proposed to do likely wouldn't have fixed the problem!

Glad to hear your friend is back up and running.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:17 am

WingAdmin wrote:I know that we can't expect Honda mechanics trained to service GL1800 via the "pull and replace" method of "repair" to know all about our older bikes...but you would think that they would at least do a little bit of research first before trying to soak an owner for hundreds/thousands of dollars replacing things that don't have anything wrong with them. The (not so) funny thing is...what they proposed to do likely wouldn't have fixed the problem!

Glad to hear your friend is back up and running.

Yeah! After they replaced the harness and gauges then after that didn't work replaced the 7v reg.
And still charged the big $$$$$$$$.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

jajeanquart
Motorcycle: 1991 goldwing interstate

Postby jajeanquart » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm

this is for my 1982 goldwing interstate................Just recv'd 7 volt regulator ...attempting to install..........not so easy............there is no room to work with fairing on.
the directions state regulator is blue...all i am able to observe is a gold irridated colored square under the mass of wiring behind the gauges.
the directions dont state whether or not to remove that item , if in fact it is the regulator , or leave it there...
due to the mass of wiring , and limited viewing, i can't see any wiring coming off that item.
May have to pull the gauges..??? to allow some working room..........stumped at this time.............

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 pm

jajeanquart wrote:this is for my 1982 goldwing interstate................Just recv'd 7 volt regulator ...attempting to install..........not so easy............there is no room to work with fairing on.
the directions state regulator is blue...all i am able to observe is a gold irridated colored square under the mass of wiring behind the gauges.
the directions dont state whether or not to remove that item , if in fact it is the regulator , or leave it there...
due to the mass of wiring , and limited viewing, i can't see any wiring coming off that item.
May have to pull the gauges..??? to allow some working room..........stumped at this time.............

The regulator isn't blue! It's a gold square-ish box. I just looked at the instructions...and it DOES say "The regulator (colored blue)..." but that's referring to the blue arrow in the diagram below, not the regulator itself. I should probably clarify that.

This is what the original regulator looks like:

Original 7 volt regulator
Original 7 volt regulator

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”