Update on the Wife's Project Bike

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Update on the Wife's Project Bike

Postby MJSantos » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Been busy the last few months working on the Project Bike. Yesterday was the first time I had all of the Plastic back on it. Hopefully the gasket set will come in this week and we can breath some live back in the old girl. Here's a few shots of it. What do you all think. I DIDN"T pick the color but who am I to complain, she wants her own bike to ride.
Attachments

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Update on the Wife's Project Bike

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Oh dude...That's crazy cool... Very Nice work there Santo's very nice, I'm smiling big..How do the exhaust sound..?? Looks like a preview...Can't wait until your done with it..Post it here first ok.. :lol:

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:36 am

That is going to be an absolute bugger to keep clean!! I hate to think of the number of little marks that will show up from boot scuffs, etc.. :D

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:13 pm

thrasherg wrote:That is going to be an absolute bugger to keep clean!! I hate to think of the number of little marks that will show up from boot scuffs, etc.. :D

There was alot of discussion on the color. I said "Well your the one that wants to do your own work on it". When she starts with 'Let me put it this way" I know it's not good. She continues with "I wash your shorts and cook for you now don't I? ". So guess who's in charge of the cleaning? Now I'll spend a day cleaning both of the Wings, mine for an hour or so and her's well you know the rest of the story. What I plan to do after I sand the finish and buffer out is apply a coat of a Poloymer coating that I picked up at the Chevy show at Carisle. Did it to my truck two years ago and nothing sticks to the paint even now. I'll put a coat of that on the apply a coat of Mothers on top. It should, I hope , make it easier to keep up with. If not I'll have a busy winter cleaning it. But like I said she wants to ride her own so if that is what she is happy with, then what can we say.
The next thing after it's done is to put both Wings side by side and take a measurement of the total width. Next spring we'll be taking a road trip to New England and I'll trailer both bikes. Have to haul dogs and and suitcases etc. Want to see if a 6x12 closed trailer will work. I'd hate to haul them up there than have to clean when we get there. Still kicking the transport ideas around and have plenty of time.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:17 pm

I think that trailer will be very tight, I have a 7 x14 foot and can only just squeeze two wings in it (width wise). One faces forward and the other backwards, a 6 foot width will be very difficult!! The 12 foot length should be fine, I like the 14 foot length as I can put a couple of bicycles in there to also ride when we go somewhere..

Gary

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:29 pm

Color looks great, exhaust look fantastic... :D Maybe a hitch and HF trailer is in your future, you can kennel the dogs and carry your luggage too with one built like mine.. :D

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:52 pm

thrasherg wrote:I think that trailer will be very tight, I have a 7 x14 foot and can only just squeeze two wings in it (width wise). One faces forward and the other backwards, a 6 foot width will be very difficult!! The 12 foot length should be fine, I like the 14 foot length as I can put a couple of bicycles in there to also ride when we go somewhere..

Gary

That's what I was thinking reversing hers and putting it in first. Since she doesn't have the fairing I might gain a few inches if not then wider I go. Another idea would be to truck one then trailer the other. Without the fairing and trunk it's alot easier to wheeel around.

I'm also thinking of an electric wench to haul one up in my dually usings a 4x10 ramp because of the bed height 39 inches 8 footers are to steep . The truck bed is up there so the wench would make it safer to load and upload. I can make the ramp so it would break down and get stowed away when not being used and make it for one person, me, to handle. I looked for all aluminum ramps that big, give me a break what they want for one is way too much.

Last resort would be to get my cousin who's a welder by trade to build me a roll back system similar to the Harbor Freight system. It doesn't look that complicated and since Harbor Freight posts the manual that would be the basic build diagram. Might run the same as their's but quality wise it would be superior. This idea might be a solution to go with. I really don't want to have a trailer sitting in the yard to be used every now and then. Something like this could be stored in the garage by hang it overhead when not being used. If I do it right I can back the truck in and lower it into the bed four fasteners and I'm off. It would be real handy especially if one of the fellow forum members is coming thru the area and has trouble. Could go and retrive them and bring them back to the house to get the work done. Let's face it try to get a mechanic after 12 on Saturday.

baldgrimsbybiker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD Aspencade.
1980 CB400N

Postby baldgrimsbybiker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:15 pm

I , for one , love the colour. Don`t know what sort of cleaning regime you will need - once a week or twice a day? ( I think the later will be the one of choice ) Just make sure that your lady is the one who cleans it . Next time she might want a different colour LOL.

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:31 pm

MJSantos wrote:
thrasherg wrote:I think that trailer will be very tight, I have a 7 x14 foot and can only just squeeze two wings in it (width wise). One faces forward and the other backwards, a 6 foot width will be very difficult!! The 12 foot length should be fine, I like the 14 foot length as I can put a couple of bicycles in there to also ride when we go somewhere..

Gary

That's what I was thinking reversing hers and putting it in first. Since she doesn't have the fairing I might gain a few inches if not then wider I go. Another idea would be to truck one then trailer the other. Without the fairing and trunk it's alot easier to wheeel around.

I'm also thinking of an electric wench to haul one up in my dually usings a 4x10 ramp because of the bed height 39 inches 8 footers are to steep . The truck bed is up there so the wench would make it safer to load and upload. I can make the ramp so it would break down and get stowed away when not being used and make it for one person, me, to handle. I looked for all aluminum ramps that big, give me a break what they want for one is way too much.

Last resort would be to get my cousin who's a welder by trade to build me a roll back system similar to the Harbor Freight system. It doesn't look that complicated and since Harbor Freight posts the manual that would be the basic build diagram. Might run the same as their's but quality wise it would be superior. This idea might be a solution to go with. I really don't want to have a trailer sitting in the yard to be used every now and then. Something like this could be stored in the garage by hang it overhead when not being used. If I do it right I can back the truck in and lower it into the bed four fasteners and I'm off. It would be real handy especially if one of the fellow forum members is coming thru the area and has trouble. Could go and retrive them and bring them back to the house to get the work done. Let's face it try to get a mechanic after 12 on Saturday.

I like to keep them in an enclosed trailer rather than the back of a pickup, it protects them from the weather, elements and crooks!! There are many nice bits that can be easily removed from a wing!! Sounds like you have a few options, I was forgetting that your wife's doesn't have the fairing so you might be lucky and get them both to fit in a 6' wide trailer, but it is going to be very tight!!

Gary

rjbrownley
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby rjbrownley » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Very nice looking bike. You have done a good job.

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks for the comments on it. I was researching the Penn Dot Inspection requirements for it and I have to make some additions. Where the horns are sitting right now I'm going to mount amber reflectors and relocate the horn maybe on the front guards close to the frame. Possible air horn? Then I had made the upper mount frame for the saddle bags so I have to add grab bars on them. Didn't even think about that but because it can carry a passenger it has to have them. I'm going to look at possible "Hot Rod" class plates. Might be able to have a little more freedom. Had to rule out Antique like on my bike because of the modifications. Here in PA there's no inspection for Antique. Minor things but better to catch them now than when I call it done. I was also hoping that they had changed the law on accent lighting. She wants "Blue" lighting shining down. Maryland changed but they say NO. Oh well what's one extra switch.
I'll keep plugging on. Pulled the starter out tonight and gave it a quick cleaning. Had to wait to do it, when the engine was out on the lift I lost the angle advantage to hold the gear in place. Not really that hard since the exhaust had to come off for the head gaskets anyway.

maplewingnut
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade & '82 Interstate in a basket.

Postby maplewingnut » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Looks cool. Much braver than matt black!!

Going to take some maintenance to keep clean, but kudos for cool!!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”