Clutch action?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Clutch action?

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:38 pm

The clutch on my GL1100 seems to be very hard to pull with the lever. I sold my backrest to another Goldwing rider today and I asked him about the clutch lever. He said and I verified that mine was a lot harder to pull than his was. Now he has an 81 and mine is an 82 and they are a bit different in that the 82 does not have the adjustment screw under the access plate? The other GW rider thought that maybe the cable was hanging up. It did seem to be a bit easier if you moved the cable a little bit near the clutch lever on the handle bar. My Suzuki VZ800 is like a dream it is so easy to pull. Is a GW clutch harder to pull? I can't imagine being stuck in traffic trying to keep pulling the lever like it is now? But it is a bigger heavier bike, so mayb eit needs more clutch pressure?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Clutch action?

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:04 pm

The clutch on my 82 GL1100 is nowhere near as stiff as the clutch on my GSXR750 - I'd go as far as to say that the Goldwing clutch is very easy to pull. I would get carpal tunnel from riding my GSXR in traffic. I have gone days riding my Goldwing without ever getting sore.

So there are four things that could cause a stiff clutch lever:

- Lever itself is binding

- Cable is binding

- Clutch mechanism is binding

- Clutch spring incorrect size

The first three will cause the clutch to engage not as well as it should, as the clutch spring has to work against the binding item. It's a relatively easy thing to test for. First, slide the rubber boot off at the clutch lever end, then loosen the jam nut and adjust the adjuster all the way in, to loosen the clutch cable:

Next, locate the clutch end of the cable on the clutch actuator on the right side of the bike:

Lift the clutch actuator up a bit, and slide the end of the clutch cable out of it:

You should now be able to squeeze the clutch lever with NO resistance at all. Similarly, you should be able to pull on the clutch end of the cable (the part you just disconnected) and pull the clutch lever back out, with no resistance.

If you have any resistance at all, you've got a problem. Start disassembling the cable from the lever to isolate where the problem lies.

My guess would be the clutch cable - and it's easy & cheap to replace.

Proper instructions on how to replace the cable, and how to re-adjust the clutch once you've had the cable off, can be seen here:

How to replace your clutch cable

CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: Clutch action?

Postby CapnDenny1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:55 pm

I got soem cable lube with a long needle and pushed it into the cable near the lever. I worked the cable back and forth and let the lube work it's way down the cable. The clutch is now as easy to pull as my other bike. Of course now the other bike seems rough so I guess I'll be lubing it now as well.

Thanks for the help,

Dennis

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”