More wiring questions

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 81 Honda Goldwing

More wiring questions

Postby NewOwner69 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:02 am

You have been GREAT!!

Question any one know where the missing conections go in this pic
one is gray with 2 mone conections missing
one is white w a blue stripe
one is a thicker wire thats green
one is just brown
one is brown w a red stripe

I am missing both of my horns and I need to know how (separate wiring harness?) down to the fan and horns??

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: More wiring questions

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Looking at the 81 schematic in the service manual, I see the turn signal buzzer uses these three wires:

Brown with Red
White with Green
Grey (grey wire has two connections, as in your diagram).

I suspect what you say is white with blue is actually white with green. White with blue is an ignition coil pickup, and it wouldn't make sense for it be grouped with those wires. White with green is +12V when the ignition switch is in the "ON" position.

Grey is the output from the flasher - it supplies +12V, flashed on and off. When you connect something to it (i.e. a light bulb) it will activate the flasher and will begin supplying the interrupted +12V.

Solid green is ALWAYS ground.

Solid brown is parking - it has +12v only when the key is in Park position.

The horns have two wires leading to them: White with green (see above), and light green (switched ground - when this wire is grounded, horns will sound). This set of wires leads to a connector which then switches to two black wires that actually goes to the horns.

The fan has two wires coming out of it: Black and Blue. They lead to a connector, where the Blue wire changes to Black with blue. This wire then connects through another connector to solid Black - this wire is connected to the same black wire that comes out of the regulator/rectifier. The other wire coming from the fan (solid black) goes to the thermostat switch, which switches it to ground (green). When the black wire at the fan is connected to ground, it should turn the fan on (when the ignition is "ON").

Hope that helps somewhat!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”