Speedometer quit working

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingrider54
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Goldwing

Speedometer quit working

Postby Wingrider54 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:14 am

Last November while out on my last trip of the season my speedometer and cruise control both quit working. I had asked a mechanic about the cable breaking and they said that they had never heard of a speedometer cable breaking. Any ideas or recomendations of where to start at?

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: Speedometer quit working

Postby landisr » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:02 am

Yes, they do break. They are the weakest link in the 'system', require the most maintenance, so consequently are the first and usually only part to break. Fortunately, they are also the cheapest part and the easiest to replace. You can do it yourself if you have small or medium sized hands. ;)

Ron in MI

PS. Because your speedo isn't functioning, besides the cruise control problem, your turn signals will not auto-cancel, and you will not be happy with the available sound system speaker volume (really). :?
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

Wingrider54

Postby Wingrider54 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Okay. I have to go to get it out of storage and didn't know where to start. Is there a manual someplace to show how to replace the cable?

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Here is a link on this web site to order an official service manual for your bike. It will be worth it's weight in Sunoco unleaded regular. If I can think of it in the morning, I'll see if I can scan the pages from my manual and pass them along.

Or better yet, somebody else here might chime in and give you the steps. It's been so long since I've done it that you would be better off if I delegated.

Stay tuned.

Ron

Wingrider54

Postby Wingrider54 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:50 am

You know what's funny is I know there are mechanics for things like this but I'm getting to a age where it's kinds of fun to fix it myself.

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Well, I just checked my Clymers manual, and there is no mention of anything to do with the speedometer. It doesn't even tell you to disconnect the speedo cable when removing the instrument cluster. I guess that's why so many people recommend the official Honda service manual. Methinks I'll put that on my Christmas or birthday wish list..

Any way, as I remember it, these are the steps I took to change the cable on my 94A:

1) Put the bike on the center stand.
2) Use a jack or whatever under the engine to raise the front wheel an inch or two off the ground.
3) Remove the left side (as you're sitting on the bike) rotor cover.
4) Locate and remove the phillips screw that holds the cable in place at the wheel hub/speedo drive.
5) With your left hand, reach up alongside the left fork, around the triple tree, tracing the cable until you locate where it connects to the speedometer itself. You will feel a knurled thumb nut that locks the cable to the speedometer.
6) If you have stronger fingers than me, just unscrew the 'nut' and remove the cable. If necessary, use a suitable pair of pliers, small channel-locks or whatever to break the 'nut' loose.
7) Pull the cable out and discard.
8) Route the new cable where the old one was, being careful not to let the inner cable fall out and drop to the ground where it can pick up dirt or other contaminants.
9) Connect the cable to the wheel hub/drive. You might have to gently rotate the inner cable slightly from the other end to make sure it seats properly in the drive hub. Secure it with the phillips screw.
10) Carefully insert the upper end into the speedometer and tighten the knurled nut a couple turns to just hold it and the cable in place. You are working 'blind' here, so just be patient.
11) SLOWLY, GENTLY rotate the front wheel a little while you SLOWLY, GENTLY tighten the upper 'nut'. You are doing this to make sure the inner cable properly seats into the speedometer head.
12) Once both cable ends are secured, SLOWLY spin the front wheel to listen or feel for binding or 'funny' noises. As long as you have been careful to this point there should be no problems.
13) If step 12 goes ok, then spin the wheel faster and check to see that the speedo needle on the guage moves or wiggles at least a little.
14) Reinstall the rotor cover.
15) Remove all blocks, jacks or whatever used in step 2.
16) Test ride.

This is from memory, but it should get you started. Again, maybe someone with a REAL manual can copy the appropriate page(s) and send them to you. It's not rocket science, and as long as you take your time, it's a piece of cake. Did I mention that you should invest in a manual to help you with your new hobby (maintenance)?

Again, good luck. Ron

Wingrider54

Postby Wingrider54 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Yes Ron I've already got that on my list. Is there an official Honda 1 or another you would reccomend?

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:10 pm

The official Honda manual is best. I think it's cheaper to buy it from Helm's rather than from the local Stealer. Go to the top of this very web page and there is a link near the top left corner that says Manuals. Click on that and follow the steps to the site to order one.

Ron

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 am

Before you buy a new cable just remove the lower end of the cable and pull the inside of the cable out and check to see if it is broken. There is a plastic driven gear inside the lower housing that can also break. Go to the site below and download the manual for a 1500. It is for a 94 but most procedures will be the same as the 2000.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/GL/GL1500/
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:31 am

They can and do break. Have a look here for instructions with pictures:

How to replace your speedometer cable

If your bike mechanic has never heard of one breaking, I suspect it's time to find a new mechanic.

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 am

WingAdmin: :!: :D

Wingrider54

Postby Wingrider54 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:30 am

I already had that in the plans. 8-)

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 pm

My speedo quit and it was the plastic gear in the front hub that went. I took the entire mess apart and am glad I did. The cable housing had NEVER been lubed correctly and it was FULL of rust. The cable could barely turn inside the housing. In fact thats the original reason I took it apart, I could'nt get the cable out of the housing and thought it came out via the speedo head. Its a real pain to get it all apart but worth it in the long run.

Wingrider54

Postby Wingrider54 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Myself and some friends replaced the front tire last summer. Do you suppose the cable might not have been connected tight at the axle?

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Wingrider54 wrote:Myself and some friends replaced the front tire last summer. Do you suppose the cable might not have been connected tight at the axle?

I don't believe so. At most the speedo would probably miss and skip and you would probably hear it.

coolhandsbob
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager Conversion Kit

Postby coolhandsbob » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Ok I'm new to the forum and I got a similar problem . My speedo quit today . I disconnected it at the speedo head then at the front wheel . The cable is not broken but in the end of the cable that went into the sending unit has a slot in it ( like a U ) in it was a small piece of steel maybe 3/8 of an inch .It was flush to end of the cable but looked like it was broken off . Without taking the sending unit apart I'm wondering if that piece could have broken off the sending unit meaning that I need a new sending unit . Honda repair manual doesn't help much in tyhis case so if anyone can help it would be appreciated . Oh its a 1983 GL 1100 Interestate

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:50 pm

coolhandsbob wrote:Ok I'm new to the forum and I got a similar problem . My speedo quit today . I disconnected it at the speedo head then at the front wheel . The cable is not broken but in the end of the cable that went into the sending unit has a slot in it ( like a U ) in it was a small piece of steel maybe 3/8 of an inch .It was flush to end of the cable but looked like it was broken off . Without taking the sending unit apart I'm wondering if that piece could have broken off the sending unit meaning that I need a new sending unit . Honda repair manual doesn't help much in tyhis case so if anyone can help it would be appreciated . Oh its a 1983 GL 1100 Interestate

I'm not familiar with your's. This was concerning a 1500 not an 1100. I'm sure someone will chime in here and help out though.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”