1983 GL1100I TURN SIGNALS

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

1983 GL1100I TURN SIGNALS

Postby stevenstrack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I tried to swap to LED light bulbs and my brake lights work but neither turn signals will come on. I put the original bulbs back in and the front work but now the rear do not. I recently before changing to the LED bulbs had changed the flasher I believe that I got from Advance Auto. I have been doing alot of work on the bike, had all the saddlebags, tail fender removed for painting and just finished reinstalling. I knew I had an issue with these new bulbs as soon as i installed them but didn't have the time to figure out why they would not work. Is there a special flasher needed to convert to the LED Bulb? The brakes light obviously works fine did I miss something with the turn signals? I'm pretty sure everything is reconnected right...at least I know the front is because they work with the old bulb.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: 1983 GL1100I TURN SIGNALS

Postby thrasherg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 pm

You may need a new flasher relay because of the LED indicators, but regardless of that the LED lights should light up. They just won't flash if you have the wrong relay. It sounds like they don't even light up, so I think you have a wiring issue that needs to be fixed first..
One side of the front and rear indicator are connected to ground (Negative), the other side of the indicator bulb/LED is connected to the indicator switch on the handlebar, and from there to the flasher relay and onto +12 volts. Check that you have 12 volts going to the relay, and 12 volts on the other side going to the handlebar switch. then push the switch to L or R and check that you are getting the 12volts switched and then follow it all the way to the bulbs and find where the break is. LED's will only light up if they are connected up in the correct direction. Make sure that you ahve 12 volts arriving at the small dimple on the bottom of the bulb and ground going to the large metal base of the bulb. If it's reversed the bulb will not light up and it will cause other issues!! I suspect you have connected something up incorrectly after your re-assembly work.

Gary

stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Postby stevenstrack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 pm

thanks for input, i will check this.

bobalooby1
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing interstate

Postby bobalooby1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 pm

[quote="stevenstrack"]thanks for input, i will check this.[/quo You will need a "electronic" flasher. in order to get the normal flash rate when using LED's.... And a couple of the Led lamps i had, did not have enough solder at the base of the bulb, to allow contact at the base of the socket. simply added more solder to the contact point at the base of bulb... worked then. but do check your wiring to make sure everything is right.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”