starter issues

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bobbo52
Motorcycle: 1985 Interstate

starter issues

Postby bobbo52 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Hello,

I just started having starter problems. I can here the realy clicking near the battery but the starter will not engage. took the fuse cover off and removed the metal fuse and had no power. i checked with the manual section and the manual says i am supost to have 2 metal fuses. Could this be the problem? any suggestions? Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: starter issues

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:06 pm

If you're talking about the metal fuse in the solenoid box, there should be one - but some have a spare one mounted inside the cover.

Are you having no power at the fuse when its installed?

If you connect the positive post on the battery to the starter directly (careful - make sure bike is in neutral first!) using a large gauge wire (like a jumper cable), does the starter crank?

You might also want to check the condition of your grounding strap (follow the thick cable from the battery's negative post to where it mounts on the frame - make sure that connection is tight, clean and not corroded).

bobbo52
Motorcycle: 1985 Interstate

Postby bobbo52 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks. I got the thing started, it seems that the problem was my battery. I have a battery that is 2 years old but after replacing the fuse and trying to jump the starter with the wire trick i noticed that the battery voltage meter was reading low. I put the charger on the battery and after about an hour the bike started right up. I will be replacing the battery this week. Any suggestions on what type of battery i sould get? I have a YUASA and the local honda shop is out of them until next Wedsnday. I do not know if this is a good brand or not, being a new wing owner. Any suggestions?

I have to say that this is the best site i have visited and will continue to come back. I have learned a lot just by reviewing the DIY section and the respones that i am getting from the members are great. Thanks to all that have posted in response to my questions.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:07 pm

I've been using plain old Napa batteries on my Wing for years and have had no problems. More importantly, I keep it on a Battery Tender when the bike is not being used, and that more than anything keeps the battery in top shape.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”