help ... rear shocks

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jeffinpittsburgh
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100
interstate

help ... rear shocks

Postby jeffinpittsburgh » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:34 am

curious, looking at all the shocks available in cyberspace i keep being led back to the very expensive progressive shocks & wanted as much input & feedback as possible,from this forum ...
i would like to hear all the "pros" & "cons" of using "spring" type of rear shocks that are adjustable as to getting a new set of (very expensive) "air" shocks...
I really want to get the belly of this cycle as high as possible off the ground as possible because i bottom out currently on the brick roads in my neighborhood with just me on it...
without stretching its limits or the rear of this cycle & not nosediving (just a vision i have if i put the wrong set on it) at stop signs, i need to know what is / should the shock length from eye to eye, what it should be (if new purchase) & what is the maximum it could be, if the bike is on the center stand with rear tire hanging, & what it is / should be on its wheels
i have the proper air pressure in the air shocks currently, if they even work, & truly like the idea of "set it & forget it" option that a "spring" shock offers... not that i ever had a bike w/ air shocks, most of the cars i drive / driven had them & they always needed tweaking...
i have yet to put my 11 year old son on this for the fear of getting hung up somewhere in this city & reading post about backing this machine up & going though a yard or over a curb... i just cant imagine it without getting hung up & thrown off it.
i have only one intention this summer & that's to ride this with him on the back into the sunset again & again - with a load on it.
http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86 ... ittsburgh/
also, i don't think i have what it takes to rebuild these ones on this cycle unless this forum can convince me otherwise, that its an easy, time consuming task... as its successfully done in the past.

many blessing & thanks in advance... looking forward to as much feedback as possible

cpawilly
Motorcycle: 1984 Interstate

Re: help ... rear shocks

Postby cpawilly » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 am

The spring shocks are definitely a set and forget thing. Until you want to change the setting. Being buried behind the trunks will make you appreciate the air shocks quick. I just rebuilt my air shocks and found it to be VERY easy. A seal in each, large snap ring pliers and 12 oz or Mercon 3 and I was done in an hour. 45 min for the first one (had to learn my around the thing. And 15 min for #2). If you at all mechanically inclined I would rebuild what you have. If not the find a buddy to do it.

My .02 worth

Craig

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:12 am

Hi everyone,
Hey cpawilly, can you post the info on where you got your rebuild stuff for your rear shocks... I also want to do a rebuild on mine as they lose air over a few weeks and I usually have to check the pressure before I go out "just to be sure"..

As far as getting "hung up" on a curb or object in the road, I dunno if it would "throw" you off the bike, might damage something under the bike, but not sure if it would grab and plant the bike and throw you off like in a scene from one of the Terminator movies where the crane gets flipped by a manhole grabbing the crane's cable while driving...

Is it possible that you don't have the correct shocks on the bike and that is lowering your ride height??? My 1981 GL 1100 has 3/4" of clearance under the rear tire when on the center stand and about 6" of clearance (with me trying to balance the bike while taking measurements) under the center stand when sitting on the ground with the side stand and center stand up.... (I didn't check the air pressure in the rear shocks, so it might be low and the clearance might be a little greater when "aired up" to 57 PSI)

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

cpawilly

Postby cpawilly » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Well I guess for a fellow Lawnguylander. The 80-81 seal is 91257-463-003 and for 82-83 models it's 91257-463-013. If you google that you will find a few merchants selling them for $11 each. I believe I got mine from:

www.powersportsplus.com/91257-463-013

Craig

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Hmmm, a fellow Lawnguylander??

Where'd ya hail from CPAWILLY?? I am in Levittown, just a little bit north of Wantagh...

There are two seals listed for the 1981 rear shocks, one is a 33 millimeter the other is 36 millimeter in diameter... I guess I will hafta wait until I open mine up to know which ones I have.. But thank you for the direction to head for some part info..

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

cpawilly

Postby cpawilly » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Born in Greenport, lived in Cutchogue, then moved to MD. Temporarily misplaced to KC.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Ever been to Santorini Beachcomer Resort on Duck Pond Road in Cutchougue??

My union bought it (and a fair amount of surrounding land) as our new educational and cultural center... It was to replace the 200+ acres in Southhampton they sold several years back..

Spent many a happy hour in Greenport on and off my bike, going back and forth to Shelter Island and at Crabby Jerry's...

Rich.
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

bikommuter
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I,1980 CM400T, 2004 VTX 1800 N

Postby bikommuter » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:59 pm

Just a note (from a former Ford Parts guy). Ford stopped using Merc III and changed to MERC V because they dicovered that Merc III was eating up seals. Just Sayin'. Try using Amsoil full synthetic ATF.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”