Timing belt replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lakebum20
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1100 gold wing

Timing belt replacement

Postby lakebum20 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi, I have a 82 gold wing that i am fixing to replace the timing belts on ! I would like any info or tips(pics or instructions) that i may need . Thanks lakebum20

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Timing belt replacement

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 03, 2011 7:00 am

Without question the most-requested how-to article. I'll be doing one this spring.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue May 03, 2011 2:55 pm

I know where you are man, you need help now...I can tell you how I do mine..I do things a little different than most.. I'm just different that way.. There really should be a how to on this, I've read the one's on other sites, I do it different..Here's what I do...remove spark plugs, remove timing site cover on top of the engine, remove the crank cap [17mm] remove timing belt covers, leave radiator in place..I use a 12mm socket and ratchet on the crank and place it on the t-1 mark[up only, clockwise] then I check the front to make sure the up marks on the pulley's are up and the arrows are lined up correctly, good they are...Now I remove the valve covers...I get a small paint brush and white paint and I paint a reference mark on the crank and the case, you can mark it anywhere you wish, that's just there so you can make sure the t-1 mark doesn't move off this mark..If you have a 80 or 81 the pulley will have holes, the 82 and up have triangles[make a custom block of wood], I use a 19mm socket in those holes and clamp it down with a small welders clamp while the belts are in place I clamp both pulley's..now this is cool, I clamp down the crank bolt too with a long nose vise clamp I got from HF for a few bucks, then I clamp that to the frame.. the idea is to keep the crank from moving off it's mark when you release the tensioners..So now you release both tensioners, carefully take off the clamp to the crank bolt, remove the old belts and place in the new ones, and reclamp it so when you put your belts on the pulley's the crank won't move..I like the welders clamps because it gives you total control of what you are doing there, if you need to move the pulley to get the new belt on you can but I always place in the new belts into the clamps when I first clamp the pulley in place, just remember the right pulley will have spring tension on it so you want to hold it good and tight if you release or move the clamp it's easy..You can do all of this without removing the radiator..First time I did this I removed the radiator, it makes things easier.. Since then, I did away with the inner two bolts, I sealed the holes with gasket sealer, this makes things easy for me when removing them now.. Here are some photo's ..Listen up..this is how I do mine, I not trying to tell anyone to do it this way but I'm sharing how I do mine..Do it the way it works best for you..
Right side has spring tension, I clamp it in place..don't have the new belts in there but they go into the clamps
Right side has spring tension, I clamp it in place..don't have the new belts in there but they go into the clamps
Clamp on the backside of case
Clamp on the backside of case
left side pulley clamped, ignore that  paint mark in this photo, it's my f2 mark for when I check my timing with  the timing light
left side pulley clamped, ignore that paint mark in this photo, it's my f2 mark for when I check my timing with the timing light
tools i use to hold the crank bolt
tools i use to hold the crank bolt
crank bolt clamped
crank bolt clamped
once you get the belts on make sure the tension is not to tight or too loose.. rotate it twice and check your marks they should be right..Again this is how I do mine..Now check your valves because it's a good time to do it..I'm sure when WingAdmin. writes his "How to" it will cover everything I didn't explain here with much better photo's .. :lol:

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Tue May 03, 2011 4:53 pm

I found another good one at the (naked wing) site has some good pics. It will give you a good idea on how to do your belts good luck the hard part is just taking the stuff off to get to the belts,once off belts are easy. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed May 04, 2011 3:13 pm

When I was talking about where I sealed the two bolts in my post above, I was referring to the timing belt covers I just wanted to clarify that..oopps :o , the two inner bolts are a real pain, I removed them because now it takes a whole minute to get both covers off..Just because I did this surely doesn't mean it's right.. :lol: Do as You wish... :D

john12121
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda cbr600rr

Postby john12121 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:07 am

Nice post littlebeaver..Replacing Timing belt is very is tricky because the pistons in engine and valve must be synchronized properly .Above detailed information will help to replace belt in much easy way..Thank you...

Sveinn
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

Postby Sveinn » Tue May 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Dang, littlebeaver, I wish I had seen your post a little sooner. I changed my timing belts Saturday morning. Your tips would have made it a whole lot easier. I'll be following your method next time.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”