New Battery, no power, where to start?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
vw4ever
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A

New Battery, no power, where to start?

Postby vw4ever » Mon May 02, 2011 11:57 pm

I just installed a new battery in my GL 1100. The bike has been sitting since 2004. I have power at both sides of the main fuse. It does not seem as though the power is getting up to the ignition switch. The lights on my tape deck are illuminated but there are no lights, horn, starter. Not really sure what I need to do next. All the fuses are good. HELP please.

Oldsmores
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade, 1984 Magna VF700C (now my son's)

Re: New Battery, no power, where to start?

Postby Oldsmores » Tue May 03, 2011 6:25 am

I guess I'd start with the ignition switch - that's one place that controls power to the rest of the bike. Do you have power to the leads on the switch? If it's not at the switch itself, try tracing the wires from the switch.
Maybe the kill switch also?
Tough one - do you have a schematic?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue May 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Did you check the power by useing your meter on the negative post of the battery or the frame? If you used the battery post then you may have a bad connection on the ground cable at the frame. Clean and retighten and check for power again.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

vw4ever

Postby vw4ever » Wed May 04, 2011 12:13 am

I do have the schematics. And I have a good clean ground on the frame to the Neg. Bat. Post.
Project is on hold until I finish my wife's 1969 VW Squareback. I will be back in a month or so.

vw4ever

Postby vw4ever » Tue May 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Soooooo, I was reading up on the starter removal thing. Some guys said to drop the motor, others said to just drop the exhaust, even more said to let the professionals do it. So what I did was go out to the garage, first things first, **** everything with WD-40, then, grab a 10mm socket and remove the wire coming from the starter solenoid. Next I removed the two 8mm bolts that hold the starter to the engine block. Then I coaxed the starter forward until I could see the end of the splines that engage the starter srocket? Pull towards you and back and the starter is sitting on the work bench in under 3 minutes. I did not even have time to smoke my entire cigarette. I then took the starter apart to find the magnet winding wire that attaches to the brushes burnt and melted off of the brush screw. The inside of the starter was also full of black dust. I will take it to work with me tommorrow and send it off to the Local Auto Electric shop to see what they will charge me for a once over. They rebuilt the starter out of my VW Squareback for $55 and it is show worthy.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”