82 1100/ electrical gremlins attack

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bobtail18
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

82 1100/ electrical gremlins attack

Postby bobtail18 » Sat May 07, 2011 2:58 pm

I bought this 82 from my 84 year old neighbor. It started and ran fine but there is an odd change his mechanic made. He spliced in a separate toggle switch to turn the headlight on and off. My neighbor says this was done because a "box" that turns the light on automatically is no longer available? It worked fine until I pulled the front tubes and put progressives in them. Now with the key to off, the toggle turns the headlight on and off perfectly,and the fuel gauge also activates, but when I turn the bike to on, the light comes on no matter which position the toggle switch is in. When I try and start the bike I hear the solenoid engage, but hear a rapid clicking behind and under the speedo/front fork area. What is that?? Have you ever heard of someone splicing in a toggle switch for the main beam?? Do I smell a pulling off the fairing job coming? Any thoughts appreciated. I'm gonna try and attach a pic of the toggle and splice. The toggle test good.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 82 1100/ electrical gremlins attack

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Any chance you can take a peek to see what colors the wires are that the toggle switch is hacked into? That will give us an idea of what it is actually doing/not doing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 07, 2011 9:23 pm

By the way, it appears in the picture that the hacked connections are not insulated at all - if they were to touch something grounded (like that metal handlebar right next to it), it could cause a sudden loss of power as a fuse blows. Wouldn't be great to lose your headlight suddenly at night...

lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Sun May 08, 2011 7:31 am

As Wing Admin said. I would get out the good old wiring Diagram to see just what he did. May have been a problem with Hi low beam on bar control. May be a Relay. for Now Insulate those terminal. 3M electrical tape at least. I had a head light go Poof years ago.dark as it can get. on a gravel road on a corner..WAS NO FUN AT ALL. oh, that was on a Honda Trail 90 ..My second ride ;-} young and dumb , the high beam had been burned out,for a long while, but Hey, Low Beam still worked. Ever tried to drive 30 miles in the dark using the turn signal as light?
lesson learned. Light is on the top of my Priority list. I lost the high beam on my wing a month ago...went right down to Napa for a new one,. changed the bugger in parking lot.
LB

lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 am

oh and the clicking noise is a Relay Chattering from low voltage to it. Cause; bad connection or High Load {short in wire}.
I spend a lot of my time finding and fixing these kinds of problems on HVAC Equipment. Motorcycles and Autos are harder do to Hard Too Reach Places
LB

bobtail18

Postby bobtail18 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks guys. The splice at the handle is into a blue wire with white stripe and the other end is spliced into a solid red wire. One other thing I should mention is that it has an SOS headlight moulator on it. I think he may have been trying to bypass that but not sure. I took it off but have not gotten to the other end of the modulator wiring. Did the bike come stock with that modulator?
thanks for the ideas and I suppose that clicking relay means if I want to examine that area I need to pull the fairing? Everything seems to run into the fairing(all the wiring looms) and I can see why some guys choose to remove them. Especially when a bike gets old and needs more work. High/Low beam at the handle does work but the former owner says he did the splice to bypass a "box that was no longer available" I was thinking maybe the SOS modulator. Don't know if their still in business. Oh, and the connections we're insulated with electricians tape I just exposed them to see if they we're good. He soldered them at both ends.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 09, 2011 9:39 am

Solid red is the +12v feed from the battery to the ignition switch, and is unswitched (hot even when bike is switched off).

Blue with white is the +12v feed to the headlight switch. It is then switched to either the low or the high beam.

It sounds like the previous owner had a problem with the headlight fuse or circuit, and decided to just bypass the entire headlight fuse to get it working. Obviously this is a) not right and b) dangerous. If the switch, harness or headlight itself were to short out, it would not blow the headlight fuse like it is designed to do. The only fuse in that circuit is the 30 amp master fuse - and the headlight wiring will melt and burn before that 30 amp fuse blows.

I'd remove that "jumper" add-on and figure out what is wrong with the headlight fuse/circuit. The headlight fuse has a black/red wire that feeds to the starter switch, and from there a blue/white wire that feeds to the high/low beam switch. This is so that when the starter is pressed, the headlight goes out, giving more current to the starter. I'm willing to bet your headlight doesn't go out when you press the starter. If you have +12V on the black/red wire when the bike is switched on, but not on the blue/white wire, then your starter switch might need to be cleaned out.

Whatastate
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I with easy rider side car.

Postby Whatastate » Mon May 09, 2011 1:30 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Solid red is the +12v feed from the battery to the ignition switch, and is unswitched (hot even when bike is switched off).

Blue with white is the +12v feed to the headlight switch. It is then switched to either the low or the high beam.

It sounds like the previous owner had a problem with the headlight fuse or circuit, and decided to just bypass the entire headlight fuse to get it working. Obviously this is a) not right and b) dangerous. If the switch, harness or headlight itself were to short out, it would not blow the headlight fuse like it is designed to do. The only fuse in that circuit is the 30 amp master fuse - and the headlight wiring will melt and burn before that 30 amp fuse blows.

I'd remove that "jumper" add-on and figure out what is wrong with the headlight fuse/circuit. The headlight fuse has a black/red wire that feeds to the starter switch, and from there a blue/white wire that feeds to the high/low beam switch. This is so that when the starter is pressed, the headlight goes out, giving more current to the starter. I'm willing to bet your headlight doesn't go out when you press the starter. If you have +12V on the black/red wire when the bike is switched on, but not on the blue/white wire, then your starter switch might need to be cleaned out.

Absolutely great advice, I have seen more damage and fires caused by people bypassing circuits, it is easier and safer to fix the wiring fault, as it worked just fine as designed.
If it was that easy everyone would be doing it!

bobtail18

Postby bobtail18 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 am

Thank you all, and wingadmin it behaves exactly as you describe; the headlight is on even when I try and start it. This is really going to help me and I appreciate it.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”