Dim head light

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tallman21
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100i

Dim head light

Postby tallman21 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Hey guys, So i bought a new headlight for my gl1100 and its exactly the same brightness as the old one. Im assuming there just isnt enough juice going to the bulb? Any idea how to combat this? Any ideas lilbeaver?!?

Whatastate
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I with easy rider side car.

Re: Dim head light

Postby Whatastate » Sun May 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Do you have a dc voltmeter? if so check the voltage between the white wire (hot) and the green wire (ground) on the head lamp with the light connected on low beam at about 1500 rpm. It should read around 13v.
If it was that easy everyone would be doing it!

grandpa
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Interstate

Postby grandpa » Mon May 09, 2011 5:06 am

I had the same problem on my 1000/78 modified to Interstate. I had about 11v on the wire to the headlight, both high and low. I found the problem in poor connection in the wiring and in the junctionbox on the left side. To help it out I ran a wire direct from batery via a fuse to a relay I put in the fairing. The relay is of the type which has 1 hot in and 2 hot out. Means out it is either 1 or 2. Hope you understand. The relax pos of the relay I connecter to low beam and drawn connection to high beam. Then I connected the wire from the dimmer schwitcs highbeam to the relaycoil. The wire from the dimmer schwitc to low beam was just parked, not in use. But dooing so means you aæways has light on you headlight even when you park the wing. To compensate for that I put on an other relay in the wire from the battery to the relay in the fairing. Then I ran a wire from input on the dimmerswitch to the coil af the second relay so it is only drawn when you have power to th input switch an only when the second relay is drawn there is power to the headlight.
Now I have full power to my headligt. You are not drawing much current via the dimmer switch and the switch vill last much longer. And if your bike is of that type which cut of headligt during start that vill works too.

All my extra light and equipment I have done the same way. I have placed all the relays except the one in the fairing on the right side under the side panel of the falls tankcover.

Look at my member pictures.

If you need to doo this work I can't tell you, but to mee it realy helped a lot and I got rid of a lot of problems.

Good luck.

tallman21
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100i

Postby tallman21 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:26 pm

i wasnt able to check the voltage but i did notice that the bulb seems to be brighter. kinda strange but if it aint broke dont fix it

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”