Brake issue resolved, thought I'd share this...

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
rirons0625
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Brake issue resolved, thought I'd share this...

Postby rirons0625 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:06 pm

A new twist on a common problem with the rear brakes of these old bikes. I recently purchased an 81 Interstate and had an issue with the rear brake dragging, even when not using it. Cleaned up the caliper, tore down and cleaned up the master cylinder (three times!) and was finally convinced I had the problem licked after 3 weeks of frustration. I was disappointed when I found I still had trouble. My last thought was the brake pedal needing cleaning so last night I set off in that direction. I removed the pin from the master cylinder linking it to the pedal and went to work trying to get the cotter pin out to remove the pedal. I kept hearing the arm of the master cylinder hitting the exhaust as I was moving the pedal trying to remove it. Then the lightbulb went off... A previous owner had replaced the exhaust with pipes from Jardine and they were not allowing the piston in the master cylinder to come down far enough to allow the brake fluid to return properly. A 5 lb. sledge and a couple of hits later and I now have custom exhaust that fixed my troubles! Just one more discovery to share that makes this forum what it is and maybe will help someone in the future...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”