82 1100i surging @4000 rpm

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

82 1100i surging @4000 rpm

Postby lbman » Sun May 15, 2011 9:00 am

I'm Back. ;-}
Friday on the way home I was noticing a bit of a surge and a slight miss at around 4000 rpm.
I checked my mileage and I am getting 39-40 MPG Not too shabby considering the way I ride.
My exhaust pipes are shot . right side rusted out in back. sounded like crap so I drilled holes in other pipe to get them too match. I then found some aftermarket turn down extensions to cover up tail pipe. also improved the quality of sound (a bit).
so I was wondering, Pipes are not breathing like stock pipes. I was thinking of putting in some very course stainless steel wool to create a little more back pressure. but I do not want to loose any power. Easy for me to do and experiment.
Is there a jet kit to increase the main jets? or some adjustment on carbs I can Make? maybe cooler spark plugs?
It's not serious and I want to ride the bike this summer. I do plan on putting on some Harley Mufflers this next winter , rebuild clutch, new back tire, and any other stuff I will need to do then. I can also pull carbs at that time to rejet if so need be.. but for now. I'm in the wind or Rain so it seems.
thanks for all the input on previous threads. You folks are "The Bomb"

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”