1982 GL1100 rebuild issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jaetwa
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing GL1100

1982 GL1100 rebuild issue

Postby jaetwa » Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 am

Greetings all, I have some issues with my restoration project.
In nutshell, new timing belt (as per DYI), full rebuild of carbs (using Randall’s kit) and still no luck getting engine running idle.
Engine starts with one turn (on choke) and run very rough. RMP vary between 1000 and 3000.
Closing choke cause engine to stop. I also noticed white smoke coming from cylinder when spark plug is removed.
White smoke from pipes, knocking noise (backfiring) in engine and vibration.
what should i check next? re-check belts? valve clearance? Carbs?
How i can check spark timing?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

note: sorry for double posting - i did once in 1200 forum by mistake.

leanjoe
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100a Aspencade

Re: 1982 GL1100 rebuild issue

Postby leanjoe » Wed May 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Yeah, I would re-check belts first. White smoke is usually a head gasket,coolant leaking into cylinder,does it smell sweet kinda ? The up and down idle is usually a lean condition,air leaks somewhere. Did you try and spray some brake cleaner or pass an unlit propane torch around the intakes at the clamps and head ? listen for engine to rev up if there are leaks.Are you sure the air jet passages in the vacuum chamber were clear ? I know,I'm sure you checked,just thinking out loud. While its running,spray some water on the headers and see which ones sizzle,then you'll know which cyls. are firing,you can also feel the intake runners for heat or cool. You would have to check belt orientation first to ensure correct spark,you can also check vacuum advance,but that being bad should'nt cause that bad of an idling issue. Maybe idle passages still f'd up.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”