New Member from Everett Washington.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Slowleadmccey
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade
In work.

New Member from Everett Washington.

Postby Slowleadmccey » Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Hello all,

I've just joined the group. I was given a 1983 GL1100A by a friend. I think the bike is really cool, so I'm gonna take some time and try to get it to run. According to the person I got it from, all it needs is a carb rebuild and new brakes. I'm sure there'll be more to it than that but it's a good place to start. I don't know how many miles are on it since I can't read the digital dash without a new battery. I'm going to jump it off of a car battery to make sure it turns over before I put any money into a battery. I'm looking at the carb rebuild kit that is for sale at Sabre Cycle to do the carbs. There are two, one comes with the sycronizer and costs more. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I know Randakk's is the most popular, but I'm on a budget so I thought mid range prices would do. I'm looking forward to getting involved in the group but until then, wish me luck.

:geek:

Deo Volente,
Slow Lead McCey

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New Member from Everett Washington.

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 pm

If you want your bike to run, I would suggest that you never put anything purchased from Saber Cycle into it. Their stuff is cheap for a reason. :)

Welcome to Goldwing ownership!

You shouldn't let the bike run without it being hooked up to a battery - not just to jump it. The battery is used to smooth out the power spikes produced by the stator (generator). Without a battery connected the bike will run, but it can send very high voltage spikes into the digital dash and other components, and can destroy them.

Slowleadmccey
In work.

Postby Slowleadmccey » Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 pm

WingAdmin wrote:You shouldn't let the bike run without it being hooked up to a battery - not just to jump it. The battery is used to smooth out the power spikes produced by the stator (generator). Without a battery connected the bike will run, but it can send very high voltage spikes into the digital dash and other components, and can destroy them.

thanks for the info. I'll definitely get a battery.
Deo Volente,
Slow Lead McCey

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 pm

welcome aboard , looks like your gonna learn about a wing , sounds like ya got a good bike that needs some repairs , enjoy your ride

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Just in case you want some entertainment, and some reasons why to avoid Saber Cycle:

Vendor Database: Saber Cycle

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu May 19, 2011 1:14 am

for the love of what ever you hold dear ,stay away from SaberCycle. You will not be happy with them or thier products.Period
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Thu May 19, 2011 7:35 am

I purchased the carb sync kit. cheep and works good, but, I will never buy anything else from them. they are Rudd and obnoxious!
I asked them a ? and they answered me back very very rudely. I could not find carb sync tool any cheaper , but, I will never buy anything from them again!
LB

lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Thu May 19, 2011 7:49 am

oops, where are my manors ? welcome aboard !!!!
you are not far from me neighbor. I'm up North a little bit Whatcom County.
Brake down and buy a battery and a battery tender. I believe you have a Pacific Battery in Everett. won't do much better than that for pricing vs quality. You can find a good battery tender on line and compare it with the price of there's .
you will find this site to be your savior as far as info on How Too do the different things you will need to do to get YOUR Wing up on the road again.
start with Battery, then fresh gas and Sea Foam added to it. Pull the choke and see if and how it runs.and go from there.
May the good luck Be with You..sounds like you are a lucky Dog already...Does your friend have anything else Lying around? :D
take care and Get To Work. Sun in the forecast 4 days in a Row. WOW
LB

Slowleadmccey
In work.

Postby Slowleadmccey » Thu May 19, 2011 10:21 am

lbman wrote: Sun in the forecast 4 days in a Row. WOW
LB

Yeah, the plan is to spend Saturday trying to get it to start. I'll take some photos too. Not that I need to, it looks like any other 1983 blue and grey Aspencade out there. ;) Thanks everyone for the warnings on Saber Cycle. If there's anything I hate about mail order sales is rudeness. I'll pay more to the guys who are willing to be helpful. I have my own attitude, I don't need theirs too.
slow lead
Deo Volente,
Slow Lead McCey

Slowleadmccey
In work.

Postby Slowleadmccey » Sun May 22, 2011 11:01 am

Slowleadmccey wrote:
Yeah, the plan is to spend Saturday trying to get it to start. I'll take some photos too. Not that I need to, it looks like any other 1983 blue and grey Aspencade out there. ;) Thanks everyone for the warnings on Saber Cycle. If there's anything I hate about mail order sales is rudeness. I'll pay more to the guys who are willing to be helpful. I have my own attitude, I don't need theirs too.
slow lead

So I spent Saturday morning working on the bike. I hooked up a battery and turned the key. To my surprise the dash lit up and all of the little screens work. Next I checked for spark. All good there. Then I went to turn the throttle. It was completely frozen. After an hour or so of scratching my head and staring at it. I noticed that the carb linkages were all gummy. I scrubbed it and added some penetrating oil and we were in business. So, the bike ran after I shot a little starter fluid into the carbs, but it wouldn't stay running. I suppose it's the bad gas. Here's the head scratcher I was left with yesterday. At about the point where I was able to keep the bike running for any length of time, the starter quit. I'd hit the button and all I get was a click. I initially thought it was the battery so I put the jumper on it. That didn't help. Eventually the clicking got quiter and quiter until I couldn't hear it any more. I guessed it was the starter solenoid because it was looking pretty cruddy and corroded, but you guys know more about it than me. Any Ideas?
Deo Volente,
Slow Lead McCey

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 am

Welcome to the board. :D
Hope your solenoid is OK. If something sounds different or changes in a negative way, I would not keep doing the same thing. Look for something that is causing the issue rather than repeating the same feat, unsuccessfully. In other words, I would not keep hitting the starter until everything dies. Clean it up (solenoid), check the wiring connections for corrosion and loose connections. Check and make sure the battery is still charged and then maybe try it again.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Mon May 23, 2011 10:25 am

GreenDragon wrote:Welcome to the board. :D
Hope your solenoid is OK. If something sounds different or changes in a negative way, I would not keep doing the same thing. Look for something that is causing the issue rather than repeating the same feat, unsuccessfully. In other words, I would not keep hitting the starter until everything dies. Clean it up (solenoid), check the wiring connections for corrosion and loose connections. Check and make sure the battery is still charged and then maybe try it again.

right on gd , if the solenoid is hitting hard , it could be the solenoid , if its hitting weak , it connection problems or battery

Slowleadmccey
In work.

Postby Slowleadmccey » Mon May 23, 2011 5:21 pm

actionpack wrote:right on gd , if the solenoid is hitting hard , it could be the solenoid , if its hitting weak , it connection problems or battery

I did check to see why the thing had stopped cranking. Nothing was changing and I tried battery power from the new battery, then a jumper box on the new battery and then jumper cables from my car. No love. I checked the solenoid and it's very rusty. Also the plug thats on the wiring harness from the bike has a small melty spot on it. I checked to see if anything was hot and nothing was. I pulled the solenoid, and am planning to replace it since it's so rusty.
Deo Volente,
Slow Lead McCey

83gl1100nb
Motorcycle: 83honda GL1100 Aspencade
95 Concours
82 Nighthawk

Postby 83gl1100nb » Tue May 24, 2011 1:01 am

hey there, welcome. this site is invaluable, as i am doing a reclamation myself of 83 aspencade. when you say starter solenoid, do you mean the whole starter motor or something else? my bike had a dead starter & i followed the 'how to' here to fix & got mine going again. it's a good tutorial. i've learned a lot here about bringing a bike back to the living. mine has gone from stone cold & sitting for 10 years, that's what i was told, to now running pretty well at 2k rpms. good luck, hope all goes well.

Slowleadmccey
In work.

Postby Slowleadmccey » Tue May 24, 2011 10:09 am

83gl1100nb wrote:hey there, welcome. this site is invaluable, as i am doing a reclamation myself of 83 aspencade. when you say starter solenoid, do you mean the whole starter motor or something else? my bike had a dead starter & i followed the 'how to' here to fix & got mine going again. it's a good tutorial. i've learned a lot here about bringing a bike back to the living. mine has gone from stone cold & sitting for 10 years, that's what i was told, to now running pretty well at 2k rpms. good luck, hope all goes well.

The starter solenoid is located just under the front of the seat on the left hand side aft of the battery. I'll have to check the starter tutorial. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. I'm in exactly the same situation with my Aspencade. My bike was last licenced in 2000. The guy that gave it to me says it has only sat for eight years. I'm inclined to believe it's been more like ten. Thanks everyone for the input.
Deo Volente,
Slow Lead McCey

triker mike
Motorcycle: 1996GL1500se trike

Postby triker mike » Wed May 25, 2011 12:51 am

Welcome aboard. One more little tip make sure your car is not running when you use it to jump your bike it can & will wreck hovav with the Stator & that is one spendy repair I had to have one replaced on my 86 years ago .And back then it was $900.00. This summer when you are up & running take a short trip over to my side of the mountains I'm 70 miles north of wenatchee.They are about to open the North Cascades Hiway this week. Beautiful trip 8-)
Does having a short mean that the wires doen't touch???

Slowleadmccey
In work.

Postby Slowleadmccey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:33 pm

So, on another note, Does anyone know if there is a cross reference to the solenoid that I can get at NAPA? I found a solenoid that looks almost exactly the same and the friend of mine that gave me the bike also gave me a few pages of NAPA crossreference numbers for parts that are the same as the Honda ones. If there isn't one already, maybe there should be a tread on parts store equivalents for goldwing parts. Thanks.

Deo Volente,
Slow Lead McCey

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”