front forks air leak

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
MIDTOP
Motorcycle: 82 wing

front forks air leak

Postby MIDTOP » Fri May 20, 2011 12:42 am

hello, I noticed when i put air into my front forks, after a day its back down to zero. Is this cured by replacing my fork seals? or is there something else? thanks.

bcassel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate. Originally Candywine color, now Chrysler Cool Vanilla.

Re: front forks air leak

Postby bcassel » Fri May 20, 2011 12:53 am

Well, let's assume the leak is at the seals. If you haven't soap tested the cross hose and schrader valve, you should do that first.

But let's assume it is your seals. Not a big job to replace them. Just need to pull the forks off, take them apart, clean them up and put the new seals in. I did it as a pure novice using the DIY instructions and the pages from a service manual. Cost is about $35 for parts, extra seals and ATF fluid. It should take you about an hour a fork plus an hour to take it down and an hour to put it all back together. Half a day tops. It will be very satisfying to have done it.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 am

like he said, soap test everything to find the leak, remember no more than 14 lbs of air in the front forks or you will blow them. seals are easy to replace just take your time and watch the position of the pieces as they come out. Do one side then the other not both at once.If you get lost we will be here to help.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

MIDTOP
Motorcycle: 82 wing

Postby MIDTOP » Fri May 20, 2011 10:28 am

thanks, did the soap test this morning, and found out my left fork seals must be the one thats leaking. now i have to find time to change them. thanks for the input.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”