Drive line slack ?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Drive line slack ?

Postby lbman » Sat May 21, 2011 8:56 am

How does a person measure except-able drive line slack on an 1100?
when i went to the Motor Cycle training course track and did some practicing with what they had laid out ,I noticed when I was doing the tight S curves I would have to slow way down to stay within the lines. as my drive line Unloaded through the 1st turn when i would have to recover speed a bit to make next turn giving it a bit of throttle would cause drive train to load back up and it seemed to be a bit jerky as it did.
Now I know a person can use the rear brake to keep it tight which i am practicing doing.
I watched the police training on U Tube. they are not allowed to use brakes in that part of the course.
one thought I had was to increase Idle a little bit. I am at around 950 rpm
Sooo due I suck it up and play with throttle more? or Do I maybe have too much slack in drive line?
any thoughts would be appreciated.
I just want bike as well as my riding skills to be Perfect.
LB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Drive line slack ?

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 22, 2011 2:12 pm

There's several different places to measure backlash, so I don't believe there is one single specification that encompasses all three. The first is transmission backlash (worn transmission gears), the second is driveline (shafts, u-joints), the third is final drive (gears, preload adjustment, damper pins) - all have specifications for backlash tolerance.

If you think you have excessive backlash, the most common cause is worn damper pins or splines in the final drive, caused by insufficient lubrication. Have you had your final drive off the wheel hub before, to lubricate the splines or damper pins?

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Sun May 22, 2011 2:34 pm

thanks, kind of figured that there was no magic measurement . Dang it. I did not lube pivot points though.
I have had the rear tire off 2 times this year. I did lube splines , they appeared ok. cleaned them up a bit looked for shavings and the like.
I had a shaft drive BMW also. learned how to take care of splines early on . only on that bike the Clutch splines were the real bugger.
I figure that there is some wear and tear on a bike with 73,000 miles .
I finished R&R of seals on front forks. removed front brake slaves and cleaned them up real good. added a bit of" never seize" to the moving parts and installed new brake pads. had to fight the left one a bit.ended up taking it back apart and cleaning up the cylinders more to get them all the way back so the new pads would go one with out being too tight. work like a champ now. I do believe I am ready to Ride the again, brand new too me 82 wing.. oh and I also added a fork brace. doubt I needed it after the progressive spring swap but I payed for it so... I polished it up like chrome and put it on. Looks cool...lol...But as the Harley riders say....."Chrome Don't Get You Home".
thanks for all the help... I will address rest of problems Next winter..hopefully I will ride this summer without any more problems.
LB

purplerider
Motorcycle: Gl1200 interstate

Postby purplerider » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:11 am

You might check the propeller shaft for wear, and the yoke also. Both of mine have had drive line issues. Does your drive line clunk when you shift gears?

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:50 am

I've adapted a little to slack. its not too much of a problem just riding down the road shifting up and down at higher speeds. i.e. normal driving...I notice slack the most in 1st gear... going to idle speed then giving it throttle . like in a parking lot.
when I was practicing on the M/C safety course . going slowly through the tight "S" curves or "U" turns. from deceleration to some throttle to slightly gain speed it seems to Lurch forward. I have not ridden another Gold Wing to compare it with.
A guy at work has one I might get together with him after work to do a comparison. I can use my rear brake to overcome slack also.
While watching a U tube video on the police riders training course they stated they are not allowed to use brakes in the very slow part of there course.
Maybe its Just Me :oops:
thanks.
Larry b

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”