Carburetor adjustment/idle mixture adjustment

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

Carburetor adjustment/idle mixture adjustment

Postby mbeerman » Mon May 23, 2011 4:56 pm

I have a 1983 Gl1100 Interstate with 30,000 kilometers on it. I have just purchased it from the second owner. I have completed some basic maintenance already, air filter, new plugs, treated two tanks of gas with sea foam as well as the oil before I did a completed oil change. I have noticed that my fuel consumption seems low. I am getting 200 kilometers(120 miles) per tank, right to reserve. I am going to synchronize my carbs tomorrow when the vacuum adapters arrive.Is there anything else that I can look at to improve my mileage? The cruising range for this model is supposed to be 200 miles, but is this realistic?

I am also looking for some advice on how to adjust the idle mixture screws on each carb.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matthew.

mbeerman

Motorcycle: 1983 INTERSTATE

Re: Carburetor adjustment/idle mixture adjustment

Postby lbman » Tue May 24, 2011 8:20 am

Look at the "How To" list on this site. there is a step by step process to do this.
Get your self a carb sync tool. very good investment for balancing carbs. I prefer a mercury set, Very accurate and cheep. $50.00 buck on Ebay :D and a Repair Manual if you don't have one..read about it, before you do it, so you understand whats happening when you make adjustments.
good luck and follow posts...I have learned SO Much !
LB
lbman

Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 am

Screws are hard to reach. you need a special curved screw driver or very small hands and a very short screw driver..best to do while of the bike..and set to spec. 83 not listed in the manual 82 = 3 turns out. Then you need a tach and use the drop idle system for each carb. If they still have the limiter caps on not much adjustment can be made..factory set.
Attachments
RBGERSON

Motorcycle: 97 GL 1500 SE current
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby lbman » Fri May 27, 2011 6:43 am

I just filled yesterday. 39.78 MPG. this is up from bike purchase a year ago. Ran ruff when I got it..synced carbs this spring. went from 35 to 37 mpg. and after the "which Octane to use posts" i started using regular gas...and continue to use MMO. the last 3 tanks I am getting 40 MPG
my commute is city and mostly county driving . approximately 25 miles. i run most of it at 60-85 mph. although the 85 thing lowers my gas millage and increases insurance rates dramatically. and besides, speedo only goes up to 85 so that's how fast bike goes :D (In 3rd gear)
so i try to run 50 "county speed limit" :lol: but so much road and so many people to pass. I like to get to work fast and get home even faster.
I actually tried babying it a tank full. got 41 mpg. so....Bike Ain't No Baby No Mo for its age and miles on the clock it runs more like my teenager.
LB
lbman

Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby mbeerman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:20 pm

I did some detective work with a mechanic friend and found that my carbs need to overhauled. My bike idles rich even with the idle screws turned all the way in. If I pull the vacuum plugs off all four intakes the bike runs much better. All of this leads me to believe that my bike is running way to rich and something is stuck open, letting way too much gas through. I have ordered a rebuild kit and a idle mixture screw adjuster. The kit should be delivered in the next couple of days.

I will post and let you know how it went.

Matthew.

mbeerman

Motorcycle: 1983 INTERSTATE

Return to GL1100 Information & Questions