What is an intake manifold vacuum equalizer tube?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dnvldw14874
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

What is an intake manifold vacuum equalizer tube?

Postby dnvldw14874 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:01 pm

I just changed my headgaskets out, and it is not running as good as it used to. I read up on the topic more, and in one explanation there is mention of the intake manifold vaccum equalizer tube. What is it? Surely they are not talking about the tube that runs from the top of one head to the top of the head on the other side of the engine that carries coolant. I only ask that because they did not mention that tube being taken off in their explanation. Also, I think I may have figured out why it is starting crappy and running rough. I cleaned up the head off of my other motor thinking about replacing the one on the bike (hoping to get rid of my tick), when I got to taking the head off of the bike, I noticed a bolt to the intake on #3 cylinder was stripped out. Probably wasn't sealing and allowing too much air into the mixture. What is the size helix coil that I would use to repair this thread? What is the procedure to installing a helix coil? What size would I drill it out before putting the coil in? How would I keep the drill straight? By hand?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: What is an intake manifold vacuum equalizer tube?

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 26, 2011 7:46 pm

I just rebuilt my 83 gl1100.I know of no vacuum equalizer tube.Each carb is ported directly to each cylinder.None of them mix or share any connection at the vacuum level(after the butterfly valve).
The only common line that is common to each carb and does have vacuum on it is for the vacuum advance,but it is ported in the bore near the inlet,before the slides,This provides vacuum for the timing while accelerating.
As far as the Helicoil...I did use one to repair stripped threads on the head bolt.By the time was all said and done I had invested $45 in the complete kit.Just for one hole.
Yes it can be done by hand(slowly and carefully)
I practiced first.As far as the size.Take the bolt to Napa or such(I think it's 6mm)Hand it to them and tell them what you need.
A helicoil,A install tool.The proper drill bit(it's special),and the tap.
Take your time and keep the hole clean and empty of shavings.
2nd option::Drill it out,tap to the next size and use a larger bolt.Not as pretty and not factory but works.

dnvldw14874
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: What is an intake manifold vacuum equalizer tube?

Postby dnvldw14874 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 pm

I already replaced the head with the one off of the original motor. It feels like the thread for the #1 cylinder spark plug is cross threaded. I pulled out and put back in etc. until i just said "screw it" and went in with it. I hope it was just dirty. It runs way better now. I will get started on the coil thing once I am done riding (if I ever get this thing on the road). Winter project. I will end up rebuilding the original motor once it is all said and done. Thank you for letting me know how to get the stuff I need to fix that head.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”