? fuse rating ?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
biker4christ
Motorcycle: crashed 1982 GL1100A Aspencade-scrap heep

? fuse rating ?

Postby biker4christ » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 am

i installed a cig lighter on my 82 Asp. Wired it to the acc. spot on the fuse block,with an inline fuse,it has blown severalfuses,now im up to a 20,started low. i mainly use this to charge a cell phone and do light a cig now and then.
what size fuse is common for a cig lighter,tired of changin em and dont want to burn anything ,thanks in advance,,,B-4-C

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: ? fuse rating ?

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:46 am

You shouldn't ever put more than a 5 amp fuse in the ACC position - that's the most the wiring is rated for. Putting a larger fuse in there (and having it blow) says you are overloading the wiring and risking having it melt/catch fire.

The problem is that most "cigarette lighter" outlets aren't actually intended for lighting cigarettes. Only if it's all metal (plastic ones will melt) and has wiring capable of handling 15 amps minimum. When you put a cigarette lighter in your socket connected to the ACC terminal, it's drawing more than triple the current that circuit is designed to provide - that's why it's heating up and blowing fuses (which it should - it's protecting your bike and preventing the wires from melting).

If you do have such an outlet intended for cigarette lighters, you should wire it directly to the battery (putting an inline 15 amp fuse close to the battery), using at minimum 14 gauge wire.

DragonRider
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Postby DragonRider » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:26 am

Agreed I have a 12 socket wired for me to use for phone charger and such with a 5V fuse, for cigarette lighter (I dont smoke so I dont have one) you need an all metal unit designed and sold with the lighter portion, this should also have the wiring and fuse with it and instructions on how and where to install.
I am not afraid to take my bike to a shop and let someone else do a job when its over my head (or when I want a warranty to protect my bike when things go wrong)

biker4christ
Motorcycle: crashed 1982 GL1100A Aspencade-scrap heep

Postby biker4christ » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 pm

wired it to the batt with a 15a inline and all is good now,ya i figured i was pullin too many amps. only used it a few times and knew it wasnt gonna work like that,
ya its all metal,its a real cig lighter,lol.. dont smoke alot when ridin but do occasionally and its nice not to have to stop. but i do use it for a cell charger and to charge my MP3 if needed.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”