83 Interstate CD Player?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

83 Interstate CD Player?

Postby Zombie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:08 am

Ok, so I have a Few Questions.
I have a gl1100 interstate & was wondering what kind of CD player will work with Her?
& what am I going to need to buy to hook it up?
Can it be done by a Novice Such as me?
I'm Not the smartest Tool in the Shed but am a fast learner.
I know people that can do it, But I would like to take on this task myself if possable.
Anyone's Advice welcome. 8-)

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Re: 83 Interstate CD Player?

Postby macka » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Stereos are pretty straight forward. You need the plug diagram from the bike, and the new cables are pretty much always marked by the maker. If you don't know how to connect wires and solder them properly go here and watch the video. http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/how-to-solder-wires

Make sure you put shrink wrap on before connecting and soldering, and for the love of God, do not use black tape instead of shrink wrap. I also put in heavier gauge automotive speaker wire, and neaten things up with zip ties and wire looms wherever possible. As for the stereo make sure it fits. If I remember ours are single DIN size, and stick to reputable brands, not the ones which are cheap knock offs. If you want you can even run a low end marine player as they are weather resistant, more so then the ones made for cars.

Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby dvcruz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:04 pm

You didn't mention if you already have a radio installed or not.
Take a look at this link, it might help.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/vie ... =car+tunes
Back in the San Diego area!

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 pm

I have found that a CD player(even a good one )skips alot while riding,maybe because of the vertical mounting position I use. I installed a car deck with MP3/Ipod input. No discs to store,and ALOT more music in a smaller package. There is room in the left fairing pocket for a car stereo. you just have to cut the bottom out of the pocket and rig up the mounting plate. The snap cover keeps it out of sight and out of the weather.It works for me. Front speakers are wired into the stock speaker location, rears go through the comm system into my helmet. Its a wiring nightmare but it can be done in an afternoon.

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”