Radio Digital Display not working


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
TGStorm
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm
Location: Christiansburg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Radio Digital Display not working

Postby TGStorm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:21 pm



Hello,, Brand new here so forgive me if this has already been asked,, I tried to search but came up empty.

Here is my question, I just bought a 82 GL1100 Aspencade, For the most part it is in great shape. Been doing a little repair here and there but have come to a bump in the road, the display that has a clock, and then also shows you what radio station your on is not working for me. I have looked for a wiring diagram with no luck, plus I found today that under the left turn light is a large bundle of wires with a lot of fuse's, but none of them are labeled. Is there any advice one can give to trouble shoot this problem so I can hopefully just fix the fuse, or rewire it..... or .... is there a way to test the display to see if it is just shot? any help would be nice,, much thanks



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Does the radio actually operate and the display is blank, or does the radio not operate at all?

User avatar
TGStorm
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm
Location: Christiansburg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby TGStorm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm

The radio works (but could use a better antenna lol ) and I was told the cb works too but without the headset I can not test that. There is no display directly on the radio but rather on the dash, after looking at the OP Man. I learned that when the radio is off then a clock should be displayed.. also the cig lighter does not work so not sure if these two are on the same circuit. Hope this helps.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:07 am

You might want to check the connection then between the tuner and the display. The tuner module is located below the right fairing pocket, and has a cable that ends in a DIN connector that plugs into a DIN connector that shows the station tuned to. If that connection comes apart, you will have no display.

Tuner to display connection
Tuner to display connection

User avatar
TGStorm
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm
Location: Christiansburg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby TGStorm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:20 am

Outstanding,,, Thanks Wingman,, I will check that out. I was re-wiring this past weekend (adding some drive lights) and saw that box but did not know what it was, had an idea that it had something to do with the radio or CB. getting to it is no easy task, that is with my hands trying to fit down inside where the pocket box comes out. thanks again. will let ya know what I find.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am

Have a look at "Clarion Type II Radio Installation Manual" in the Manuals section here and you'll find most everything you need to figure out what goes where, and what connects to what.

User avatar
TGStorm
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm
Location: Christiansburg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby TGStorm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Have a look at "Clarion Type II Radio Installation Manual" in the Manuals section here and you'll find most everything you need to figure out what goes where, and what connects to what.



ok, dumb question,, where is the Manuals section??? lol I found the how to section.

User avatar
TGStorm
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm
Location: Christiansburg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby TGStorm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 pm

never mind,, I found them,, (blushing)

User avatar
TGStorm
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:05 pm
Location: Christiansburg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby TGStorm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Well I have tried the connections, nothing is working, I have tried to find one online since my local dealership is a complete waste of time (they could not even help me with a spare key, and had no idea what I was talking about when I said radio indicator, digital display) and have have come up blank, anyone know how to find one and about what the cost will be?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:14 pm

TGStorm wrote:Well I have tried the connections, nothing is working, I have tried to find one online since my local dealership is a complete waste of time (they could not even help me with a spare key, and had no idea what I was talking about when I said radio indicator, digital display) and have have come up blank, anyone know how to find one and about what the cost will be?


Keep a watch on eBay, also check out the Vendors database here, look for used parts vendors.

DragonRider
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 11:11 am
Location: Ocala, FL
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby DragonRider » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:31 pm

In all those wires you will find glass fuses, I would suggest going ahead and replacing them (since they may be original equipment). If that does not work look in that wire bundle and you may find some fuseable links that need to be repaired.
As you can tell I dont know everything about these radios, but it should be in the wires unless the LED display is completly burned out.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:51 pm

DragonRider wrote:In all those wires you will find glass fuses, I would suggest going ahead and replacing them (since they may be original equipment). If that does not work look in that wire bundle and you may find some fuseable links that need to be repaired.
As you can tell I dont know everything about these radios, but it should be in the wires unless the LED display is completly burned out.


I had one of the glass fuses in my main fuse block fail. When I took it out, the metal end fell off, and the hardened "glue" that was holding it in place just crumbled and fell out. I pulled out all of my fuses, and most were in the same condition. A good hard jolt, and they would have failed. At that point I decided to replace every fuse in my bike.

DragonRider
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 11:11 am
Location: Ocala, FL
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby DragonRider » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:24 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
DragonRider wrote:In all those wires you will find glass fuses, I would suggest going ahead and replacing them (since they may be original equipment). If that does not work look in that wire bundle and you may find some fuseable links that need to be repaired.
As you can tell I dont know everything about these radios, but it should be in the wires unless the LED display is completly burned out.


I had one of the glass fuses in my main fuse block fail. When I took it out, the metal end fell off, and the hardened "glue" that was holding it in place just crumbled and fell out. I pulled out all of my fuses, and most were in the same condition. A good hard jolt, and they would have failed. At that point I decided to replace every fuse in my bike.


Yeah I know what you mean...

warnett
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 pm
Location: Stockdale, Texas
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Re: Radio Digital Display not working

Postby warnett » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

wow seems like the same problem I have except previos owner disconnected the speaker wires and installed somekind of radio that doesn't pick up very well. Guess I'll connect speakers and see if there is any noise. Would be nice if the schmatics would at least give you power points to test.




Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Johnyy Smoke and 1 guest