I am concerned.... lots of smoke!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
stancotreau
Motorcycle: 2009 Suzuki Boulevard

I am concerned.... lots of smoke!!

Postby stancotreau » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:53 am

I just got my 1981 gl1100 running after a rest of at least 2 years. When it first starts there is no smoke coming from the exhaust pipes......... as it warms up it begins to really smoke out of both pipes.(blueish color, smells like oil)

how do I tell if it is the rings?? can I loosen them if they are stuck without a teardown? I want to figure this out before I put more $$$ into the project, any and all replies are much appreciated

Stan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: I am concerned.... lots of smoke!!

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:09 am

Get a cylinder pressure tester (the kind that screws into the plug hole). With the kill switch turned off, crank the engine with the pressure gauge in each cylinder, one at a time. Write down the numbers you get.

Squirt a teaspoon or two of engine oil into each cylinder and then repeat the tests. If the pressure numbers go up, it's likely your rings. If it remains more or less the same, it's likely your valves/valve seals.

DragonRider
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Postby DragonRider » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:55 am

Another problem is simply to much oil in crankcase.
My wifes "82 GL1100 is on a Voyager Conversion kit and once she overfilled the crankcase with oil (thinking it was low when it was not) once the engine warmed and oil pressure built, oil was sent up the egr system into the air filter box and air filter. this caused alot of engine smoke (I thought she blew the engine). I drained the oil and changed filters (oil and air) cleaned up what was in the air box, and cleaned the plugs. we ren the bike for about 150 miles before all the smoke was gone (once in the exhaust it has to be burned out) but now all has been fine for several years.
Just look at air filter box, if there is oil in the box or on the filter you may have found your problem.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:48 pm

By reading your post you mentioned it is you bike that set up for a few years,Correct?
Did it smoke like that before the retirement?
If not,it can also be just stuck oil rings,Usually valve seal will burn oil out the tailpipe when decelerating(high port vacuum)and not so much when running.
If it starts clean,the oil isn't coming in thru the carbs(crank vent system)That would smoke right away.
Unfortunately a compression test doesn't reveal much information about the oil scraper rings as they don't influence the compression much.
I did pull apart a 1100 that set up for 4 years and found the rings seized to the pistons. I soaked the piston in ATF for 48 hours to un-stick them.

With all this said,my idea is this...
If nothing fixes the problem,including Sea Foam,oil change,100 mile hard driving,etc.
1.pull 2 plugs on one side,lay the bike on it's side with the 2 cylinders up.pour 2 tablespoons of ATF into each plug hole,replace the plugs loosely and wait 2 days.
2 .pull the plugs out,add a squirt of gas to dilute any oil,stand it upright and crank it over(no starting it)to blow the cylinder clean.
3.Do the same thing for the other side.
Setting for 48 hours will allow the ATF to soak into the ring grooves and hopefully let them break free.
4.After both sides are done.,fire it up and hit it hard.It did help ONE of mine.

DragonRider
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Postby DragonRider » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:23 pm

When you stored the bike did you put any oil in combustion chamber? if you did did you remove all of it before you started the bike up? if you did not you may have pushed that oil into the exhaust. and once things get hot the oil in the exhaust system begins to cook off that oil causing the smoke. if bike runs fine I ould check all my fluids and take it out for a nice 100 mile ride and see if smoking goes away.
Oil rings may or may not fix themselfs with a bit of riding and a little care to maintaince.

stancotreau

Postby stancotreau » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:02 pm

virgilmobile wrote:By reading your post you mentioned it is you bike that set up for a few years,Correct?
Did it smoke like that before the retirement?
If not,it can also be just stuck oil rings,Usually valve seal will burn oil out the tailpipe when decelerating(high port vacuum)and not so much when running.
If it starts clean,the oil isn't coming in thru the carbs(crank vent system)That would smoke right away.
Unfortunately a compression test doesn't reveal much information about the oil scraper rings as they don't influence the compression much.
I did pull apart a 1100 that set up for 4 years and found the rings seized to the pistons. I soaked the piston in ATF for 48 hours to un-stick them.

With all this said,my idea is this...
If nothing fixes the problem,including Sea Foam,oil change,100 mile hard driving,etc.
1.pull 2 plugs on one side,lay the bike on it's side with the 2 cylinders up.pour 2 tablespoons of ATF into each plug hole,replace the plugs loosely and wait 2 days.
2 .pull the plugs out,add a squirt of gas to dilute any oil,stand it upright and crank it over(no starting it)to blow the cylinder clean.
3.Do the same thing for the other side.
Setting for 48 hours will allow the ATF to soak into the ring grooves and hopefully let them break free.
4.After both sides are done.,fire it up and hit it hard.It did help ONE of mine.

I bought the bike in a non-operational state so I really do not know if it smoked before its retirement or not... I'll try to see what is going on with the rings by ading a bit of ATF and letting it soak a bit..thanks

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Pull the spark plugs, are they oily? Clean them up and put them back in then run the bike and see if it smokes anymore..I'd ride it around a bit and if it still smoking after a good ride then I'd be concerned..

HomeBru
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HomeBru » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:28 pm

I picked an '83 up recently in long-term storage and unknown condition last month. It smoked like a volcano once it warmed up. When I had initially drained the oil before starting, the crankcase was full of gas. As I did some digging, I discovered that as the gas filled the crankcase (stuck carb float) the oil leaked past the rings and into the exhaust.

The final clue was the drips of oil from the end of the exhaust and seams when I shut it down.

I pulled the exhaust, dumped about 1/2 gallon of degreaser (Purple Power) down each pipe,sloshed it around for ten minutes and rinsed with water. It only took about 20 miles of riding to clear up the last of the smoke and now it's clear.

J-

stancotreau

Postby stancotreau » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:11 pm

HomeBru wrote:I picked an '83 up recently in long-term storage and unknown condition last month. It smoked like a volcano once it warmed up. When I had initially drained the oil before starting, the crankcase was full of gas. As I did some digging, I discovered that as the gas filled the crankcase (stuck carb float) the oil leaked past the rings and into the exhaust.

The final clue was the drips of oil from the end of the exhaust and seams when I shut it down.

I pulled the exhaust, dumped about 1/2 gallon of degreaser (Purple Power) down each pipe,sloshed it around for ten minutes and rinsed with water. It only took about 20 miles of riding to clear up the last of the smoke and now it's clear.

J-

mine filled with gas as well, perhaps it just could be ridden out?

HomeBru

Postby HomeBru » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:20 pm

stancotreau wrote:
HomeBru wrote:I picked an '83 up recently in long-term storage and unknown condition last month. It smoked like a volcano once it warmed up. When I had initially drained the oil before starting, the crankcase was full of gas. As I did some digging, I discovered that as the gas filled the crankcase (stuck carb float) the oil leaked past the rings and into the exhaust.

J-

mine filled with gas as well, perhaps it just could be ridden out?

I'm sure it could. I was just "bored" one afternoon and figured I'd give cleaning it out a shot. I was running the bike in the drive one afternoon and the neighbor came over to see if my garage was on fire. :shock:

Connell
Motorcycle: 1984 Gl1200

Postby Connell » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm in the process of reviving a low mileage '84 that unfortunately has been sitting for more than a decade.
After completely cleaning out the fuel system, including rebuilding the carbs I got it to start for the first time today.
Runs fine (carbs will need a synchro touch up but thats not an issue now). What is, is the fact that it starts clean but as the pipes get hot smoke starts pouring out the back and even wafting up from the gaskets!!

There is a half can of seafoam in the tank, but since the smoke only appears when the pipes are hot I'm thinking (praying??) its the oil squirted into the cylinders in hopes of avoiding a seized ring that was blown into the exhaust and is now cooking off.

BTW: as a first time Goldwing owner involved in a daunting project I can not over state how helpful the information on this site is. The DIY's are incredibly detailed and accurate and have helped me get through carb rebuilds, front fork seal replacements and everything else I've taken on. Could not do this without the help.

THANKS

HomeBru

Postby HomeBru » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 am

WELCOME Connell! You'll find a lot of great info here and many helpful folks. Since it's not smoking until the exhaust gets hot, I'd say it's oil in the exhaust system like mine had. If it's smoking cold, then it's combustion smoke or oil you dumped in to free stuck rings. It'll burn out eventually... If you're nervous, check the compression to see if all four cylinders are close.

One thought, if it's only the left exhaust (common) make sure you've not overfilled the crankcase as the oil will dribble past the rings when on the side stand.

my $.02

J-

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”