GL1100 Back to Life

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
slydogjeff77
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing

GL1100 Back to Life

Postby slydogjeff77 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:38 am

Hi Guys.
Just got my 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 back from my fathers house in Long Island, NY. It's been sitting there for over 4 years rusting outside..
I've been coming to this sight for the past 2 weeks straight. Reading every article I could find and learning so much about the in's and out's of this bike!! GREAT stuff!! Gave me the confidence to do everything in this post on my own!

OK, so I did the usual and yes I checked Randakks doc on bringing an old bike back to life.
http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm
turns out i did some of these things on my own before i even knew there was a whole goldwing community!! :)

OK so I have fuel leaking out of the exhaust gasket that connects the pipes to the bottom of the engine block. also it's pooring out the back of the pipes.. and yea, i have a tiny hole in the bottom of one of the pipes and it's pooring out of there too.
That's my big problem right now. Here are the details.

I'll try to keep this short.
I took out the plugs and shined them up, drained the gas in the tank and put in a full tank of 93 octane with about 5 ounces of the SeaFoam stuff mentioned above. changed the oil and filter, changed the final drive oil, changed the antifreeze, changed the fuel filter and lines, changed the air filter, changed the battery and cleaned the connections... all of the easy maintenance stuff i could think of..

bike runs.. starter turns great.. starts right up!! woo hooo
but i have the typical knocking sound at low idle, rough running during idle and normal use (1000-5000rpm). I'm pretty sure i need to sync the carbs. rode a couple of miles around the neighborhood to let the seafoam work it's way through. but before i knew it the tank was empty and i only went about 20 miles. So i'm not sure how much the seafoam worked! but now the gas is just SPEWING out the bottom of the bike. No apparent leaks from the petcock or the top of the engine. From what I'm reading of you guys, (big thanks again), it sounds like I either have some really stuck floaters, float needles or maybe the air cutoff valves are melted and have turned into gooooo. When i start the bike i get a nice blast of white smoke from the left side (i know it's been leaning to the left for 4 years) and after riding about 10 mins i get a huge blow of white smoke from the right side. then after about 15 mins all smoke is gone except for a hazy blue smoke (i'm presuming that's just the fuel smoking off the exhaust pipes).

Bike has about 62000 miles on it.

Second time out on the bike, I took it to work and went to a local repair shop during lunch to try and get an inspection (turns out the hand brake light switch is broken but he gave me one for free and said "Happy early Christmas" come back when i replace it and he'll pass me on the inspection) and the guy said he would clean and rebuild the carbs for $65 a piece if i take just the carbs and intake manifold to him. otherwise he will charge me another hour labor to take it out for me. I'm thinking that's crazy. I can do this myself and worst case scenario, i could just buy a whole new rebuilt carb and mani online for $150-200 bucks!! still less than he wanted to charge. My biggest fear is that i don't have a metric set of tools, i don't have the space / garage to do the work, and it's going to take a couple of hours.. more like a full weekend. When i left for the day, bike wouldn't start. Battery was almost dead. I had to pop the clutch. Stopped for more gas on the way home. Still dead. Had to pop the clutch again.

So can anyone validate my findings and presumptions? I'll number these for easy of response.
1) does anyone here think blasting some GUMOUT into the air intake (without the air filter obviously) while the engine is running would do the trick?
http://goo.gl/Eg0yR
2) or do you think that no amount of GUMOUT or SeaFoam will fix this (for example if the air cut off valves are shot) and i need to do a rebuild?

3) And what about the battery?! brand new! took a full charge from the house charger! what is the alternator like on this bike? I didn't see any articles about it on line.

4) And I'm guessing I should just change out the timing belt too?

I think i need a little more confidence. Yes it's an old bike and i'm not looking to make a show piece out of it. I just want to ride. I'm 34, single income, supporting a family of me, wife, 3 kids, 2 cats, 1 dog and a mortgage! and this is my BREAK for some SANITY once in a while!!! :)

so much for trying to keep this short!! you guys are awesome! Keep up the great articles! NOOBS like me are learning and I'll be HAPPY to make a contribution to the community once I'm WORTHY!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

GL1100 GL1100 Back to Life

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 am

slydogjeff77 wrote:OK so I have fuel leaking out of the exhaust gasket that connects the pipes to the bottom of the engine block. also it's pooring out the back of the pipes.. and yea, i have a tiny hole in the bottom of one of the pipes and it's pooring out of there too.

You have at least one carburetor float stuck.

slydogjeff77 wrote:When i start the bike i get a nice blast of white smoke from the left side (i know it's been leaning to the left for 4 years) and after riding about 10 mins i get a huge blow of white smoke from the right side. then after about 15 mins all smoke is gone except for a hazy blue smoke (i'm presuming that's just the fuel smoking off the exhaust pipes).

White smoke is typically coolant - give it a smell and see if it smells like hot oil, or if it smells sweet. Sweet-smelling, white smoke is coolant, blueish smoke is oil.

If your bike is leaking that much fuel, it's a fair chance your crankcase is full of it as well, which will not do much for lubrication. If the crankcase gets too full of oil (or anything else) it will blow oil up through the crankcase vent into the intake, where it will get burned and you will have blue smoke as a result. Pull the air filter and see if there is oil up in there - there shouldn't be. If there is, that's what's happening.

slydogjeff77 wrote:1) does anyone here think blasting some GUMOUT into the air intake (without the air filter obviously) while the engine is running would do the trick?
http://goo.gl/Eg0yR

It can't hurt to try...but I'd be kind of surprised if it does. That isn't going to unstick your floats, intake air doesn't get anywhere near your floats.

slydogjeff77 wrote:2) or do you think that no amount of GUMOUT or SeaFoam will fix this (for example if the air cut off valves are shot) and i need to do a rebuild?

I'd have a look at the floats and float chambers and see just how gummed up they are. It's quite possible a cleaning there could solve your fuel problem. Obviously a removal and rebuild will fix any problem that you have there.

slydogjeff77 wrote:3) And what about the battery?! brand new! took a full charge from the house charger! what is the alternator like on this bike? I didn't see any articles about it on line.

The alternator is actually a permanent-magnet stator. It's reasonably reliable, but you need to have a look at cutting out and replacing the connector for it, which is prone to failure. Do a search for "three yellow wires" here and you'll find lots of information on this.

slydogjeff77 wrote:4) And I'm guessing I should just change out the timing belt too?

Absolutely. Before you go riding again! If one of the timing belts goes, all the other work could be moot. And having sat for a long period of time, the belts are not going to be in good shape. Also have a good look around the frame, particularly around the bottom frame members (i.e. around the center stand and side stand) for corrosion.

slydogjeff77 wrote:I think i need a little more confidence. Yes it's an old bike and i'm not looking to make a show piece out of it. I just want to ride. I'm 34, single income, supporting a family of me, wife, 3 kids, 2 cats, 1 dog and a mortgage! and this is my BREAK for some SANITY once in a while!!! :)

so much for trying to keep this short!! you guys are awesome! Keep up the great articles! NOOBS like me are learning and I'll be HAPPY to make a contribution to the community once I'm WORTHY

You'll get there! Let us know how you are making out!

zvacman
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: GL1100 Back to Life

Postby zvacman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:48 am

Jeff:

If you plan on keeping the bike you may want to invest in a GENUINE service manual for it (www.helmsinc.com) I think it costs about $40.00. Next a set of box/open end metric wrenches and a set of shallow and deep well metric sockets, you won't get far working on a Honda without them as everything is metric on it.
WingAdmin is correct (he most always is) about changing the timing belts, if one of those fails it's junkyard time for the wing!
You never mentioned your tires. After sitting outside for that long they are probably marginal at best. Blowout+Motorcycle=Road Rash or worse. My tires looked good when I bought the bike and I wasn't hot on the idea of replacing them due to the expense, but since I didn't know how old they were I decided to change them. The rear tire literally cracked in half when they went to dismount it.
You mentioned finding a set of "rebuilt" carbs on the internet for $150-200. Trust me, they are not rebuilt, just the kit without the carbs or labor runs $200. Read everything you see very carefully the carbs you saw were probably rebuildable and you already have a set of rebuildable carbs. Randaaks kit is absolutely the only set worth buying. I bought a cheap set and rebuilt my carbs with it and then ended up buying the Randaaks kit and rebuilding them again. Doing your carbs once sucks, doing it twice really sucks!
If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to do everything yourself, but it will require time and patients on your part. Not having a garage to do the work in is going to add to the challenge.

Good Luck, keep us posted. Z

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”