GL1100 - Rebuild or buy used

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
saltydawg1967
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

GL1100 - Rebuild or buy used

Postby saltydawg1967 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:58 am

ok, everyone, I need your wisdom. I have everything ready to either take out my engine and rebuild, or look for a used motor. My bike has 128K miles on it and only has about 85psi cylinder pressure in all cylinders. other than that, it runs good and blows smoke on startup only. I have purchased valve seals to replace as I think that is the problem at startup.

What do you guys think I should do? Rebuild, or search for a used or rebuild engine? Where do I even get a good engine and what is the typical cost?

Information needed as I have a big trip in the Colorado Rockies in September.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: GL1100 - Rebuild or buy used

Postby trike lady » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:22 pm

I would replace the valve seals, as long as the engine still runs. The best test you can run on an engine is a 'Leak Down Test' to see if the cylinder, gaskets, valves and seals hold pressure.
Someone on this forum may be parting out a GL1100 and have a good engine and you can have it as a back up.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:04 am

My first question is about the procedure used to test the compression. 85 psi is pretty low for the bike to be running good. Did you remove all plugs, choke open, throttle fully open to allow full air flow with a fully charged battery. If so then do a wet test by squirting some oil into the cylinder and re-test. If the compression goes up significantly then you have worn or stuck rings. If that is the case then I would go with another engine. If the compression doesn't go up then do the leak down tests to see where the problem lies.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

rlflint
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Postby rlflint » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:49 pm

this post was VERY helpful
I was having the same issues and symptoms (90 psi) and came to the same conclusion, I needed to replace the engine.
until I decided to redo the test with the choke and throttle open. now I'll replace the valve seals and call it good. : )

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:47 pm

I agree with the others ,it sounds like you did the compression test with a closed throttle. 95lbs across the board is unlikely for an engine with so few miles (for a goldwing that is) .
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:36 am

The advice is good. Measure the compression with the throttles wide open ( VERY IMPORTANT) and carefully record the pressures on all cylinders. Honda expect 171 PSI on a new motor and recommend maintenance if cylider pressure drops below 145 PSI. Its important however not to have much difference between the cylinder pressures as well. If the pressures are low then as advised squirt some oil into the cylinders via the sparking plug hole and do the test again. If the pressures then are appreciably higher then chances are the piston rings need changing. Record these pressures and let the forum know the results pease as we all learn from each other
Any major job on the engine requires the cylinder oil seals changing as its a simple cheap job to do when the heads are off . But you MUST use proper HONDA cylinder head gaskets when reassembling and torque the heads up as per the workshop manual. Hope this helps from a Limey who has just gone through the same problem!!!

rlflint
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Postby rlflint » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Gladly Moffat
I got
168 on #1
165 ON # 3
172 ON # 4
170 ON # 2
All very good compression and the bike is running well, and getting right at 46 mpg, but does have a funny knock of sorts at around 4000 RPM's
I have adjusted the valve lash per specs but cant get rid of that darn ticking. I'll get used to that though.
Two questions, one is at around 3700 rps I typically am running 65 MPH. does that sound about right? My last bike was a VT1100 (twin cylinder) and didn't seem to run as high an rpm as the oldwing. also I still burn a fair amount of oil. I know the valve seals are bad but could it also be an indication of the need to have the valves done as well?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:10 pm

I am glad that your compression is good across the board. As for your other questions oil consumption goes up with running over 4,000 rpm for extended periods. mine wont use a drop between oil changes if I keep the speeds down under 60mph.Over that speed and and the RPM that goes with it I "use" oil, as much as a cup and a half per tank at 80+mph.Mine doesnt smoke just "uses "a bit of oil at speed .Valve seals probly need to be replaced, they are almost 30 years old after all

As for 3700 Rpm at 65mph it sounds like someone swapped out your final drive for the one from an 83( thats a good thing) mine still has the stock ratio and as you can see from the photo I run a little higher rpm at the same road speed.
Taken on the hiway near Jasper Alberta
Taken on the hiway near Jasper Alberta

thats 4200RPM @ approx 65mph

These bikes are quite happy running at 6-7,000 rpm all day.The only harm you will do is to your fuel consumption .The redline starts at 8,000 rpm. Feel free to use all those RPM ,I do often

Ride safe,Todd
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:24 am

You can change the cylider head valve oil seals without removing the cylinder heads. Have a look at www.ngwclub.com , sign up as its free and go to page SHOPTALK. There you will see a heading "Maintenance" -then "Valve stem Oil seals swap head in place". Open it up an have a look-Its brillant and if you can find the fancy spring compressor it should be a doddle. So much easier than taking the heads off.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”