Starter cog replacement question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
guitarlos
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Starter cog replacement question

Postby guitarlos » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:25 am

I removed and started to clean my starter last night. I noted that the wire that attaches to the screw for the brushes, the fitting on the wire was broken, so I guess its time for a new starter. I am questioning if there is a way to remove the cog from inside of the motor without opening the case. It seems that all the new starters that I have found come with the new cog and I cant get a straight answer to see if the spline mates up with the old cog (still inside of the engine).

What to do?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Starter cog replacement question

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Have you considered just attempting to repair the brush wire?

I don't know if the splined shaft on aftermarket starters is going to be the same...but I would be surprised if it's not, being that most people don't replace the cog inside the bike when they replace the starter.

As for removing it - I know that the splined shaft runs through a bearing and is mounted to the sun gear of the starter's output planetary gear system. It can come out, but it has to come out from the inside - it can't be removed without opening the starter and pulling it out from the inside.

Have a look at this article: How to remove, rebuild and reinstall your starter for some pictures.

guitarlos

Postby guitarlos » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks for the speedy answer WA!

I did try to initially "repair" the broken wire, but must have had a mishap when reassembling. I wired it back up to the battery and tried to spin it, the relay kicked in and I saw a whisp of smoke come from the starter area. I cant see that being a good thing.... :lol: I can laugh about it now, but not last night. ;)

When I get home, Im going to remove it again and disassemble it again and see how much damage the whisp of smoke created.

How do you feel about aftermarket starters? Honda wants over $450 for a new one!

When you buy a new starter, it comes with the cog, that is usually left inside of the engine, can the cog be removed from inside of the engine casing without cracking open the case? It didnt look like it to me.
Thank goodness that I read the DIY article BEFORE attempting as I was going to just try it on the center stand! YIKES, what a huge consequence if you do that! :o

guitarlos

Postby guitarlos » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:23 pm

This is the wire that was broken.

guitarlos

Postby guitarlos » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Is there a way to check the starter relay? Seems that when I go to start the bike without the starter hooked up, the relay kicks in and shuts off power. Is this normal operation?

The more I dig into this, the more confused I am.

guitarlos

Postby guitarlos » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Brain fart.....

Ground lead on ground with DVM, lead going to starter yields 12 volts DC. THerefore the relay is good and the starter is shot. No spin, nothing.

steve allen
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Postby steve allen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:04 am

guitarlos wrote:I removed and started to clean my starter last night. I noted that the wire that attaches to the screw for the brushes, the fitting on the wire was broken, so I guess its time for a new starter. I am questioning if there is a way to remove the cog from inside of the motor without opening the case. It seems that all the new starters that I have found come with the new cog and I cant get a straight answer to see if the spline mates up with the old cog (still inside of the engine).

What to do?

I had the same problem, chose to get aftermrket starter, and, NO, the splines form one cog does not match the other, you must do what I did, combine the new starter with the old one, this will correct it, a will fit right back into old cog gear inside motor. Also, if yor bike is like mine(82 gl1100i) they are most likly no OEM avalibile. Only 2 was located in USA wen I got mine, again, I got aftemarket and combined it with old spline shaft to fix.......works great

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”