Cracked fairing.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Cracked fairing.

Postby CapnDenny1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 am

I was putting the lower fairing on after replacing the belts and I noticed that the lower mounting point was cracked and held on with just a thin piece of plastic. It must have fallen to the floor and busted while it was off the bike, because I don't remember it when I took it off. What is the best way to repair it? I used some JB Weld, but I think I will glue a piece of metal behind the fairing to help take some of the stress. Is JB Weld a good glue to use, or is there something better for the fairings? It's an '82 Interstate.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Cracked fairing.

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:36 am

I've thought about this myself every time I take my lower fairings off, because one of mine is cracked in that bottom screw hole, and it's only a matter of time before it fails.

I would like to replace mine with metal, the issue is how to bond the metal to the existing ABS of the fairing.

I've used JB-Weld before on plastic with good results - but it wasn't a stressed area. JB-Weld lists a lot of things it will bond to, but plastic is not one of them.

I *think* that when mine does break, I will take a piece of metal strapping (with holes in it) and bond it to the fairing with ABS slurry.

To make slurry, you take a black ABS pipe, and using a cheese grater or rasp, create a pile of filings. You then add ABS cement to it and mix it together until you have a thick black paste. You have to work quickly, because it will harden quickly

Then put the strapping in place on the fairing, then cover it with the slurry. The slurry will bond to the existing ABS, and harden over top of the strapping, holding it securely in place.

That's my plan, anyway. :)

CapnDenny1

Postby CapnDenny1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am

I went and checked the JB Weld website. This is their list.

What does it bond to?

Virtually any combination of iron, steel, copper, aluminum, brass, bronze, pewter, porcelain, ceramic, marble, glass, PVC & ABS, concrete, fiberglass, wood, fabric, paper -- just about any porous and non-porous material.

I think I will make a metal strap to put inside to take the stress off the plastic and just use some more of it in there.

I never thought about using ABS pipe and cement. That's a good idea.

Thanks,

Dennis

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 am

That's good to know about J-B weld. The package I have doesn't list plastic, but I used it anyway on plastic, and it seems to be working fine. I find it sticks better to metal if you first score/wire brush the metal, and clean it with a solvent.

CapnDenny1

Postby CapnDenny1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:15 pm

I got a piece of aluminum at the hw store today.

I also noticed that the rubber seal that is along the edge of the lower fairing that seals to the radiator is missin gon the right side. The left side still has it, but it's just gone on the other side. I'm thinking this isn't all that important. What do you think? Shoudl I try to find a replacement rubber seal. or just not worry about it. I'm not making a museum piece, I just want it to work.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:25 pm

I've wondered that as well - mine just barely hangs on there, and I've thought about gluing it in place to keep from losing it. I suspect, like most baffling, that it's going to be important when it's really hot out, and you need as much pressure as possible forcing air through the radiator.

That said, that's only a guess. It might run exactly the same with and without it.

fireguy
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby fireguy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:29 pm

I found that the J-B weld works...but not as well in the long term as it developed a crack through it after awhile. I have had good luck repairing the ABS with Epoxy...but not the 4 minute type, it cures too fast and becomes too brittle. "Crazy " glue works as well to get the part together as in proper alignment and then back it up with Epoxy. Not a bad idea to use some perferated metal for strength. Another although i haven't tried it yet is "Crazy Glue" with talc mixed into it for body...it will fill imperfections and when dried and set can be sanded.

I have extra rubber for the lowers ...i will make a list of spare part and post soon.

wbetheajr
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100i interstate

Postby wbetheajr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:32 pm

My 82 wing had some serious cracks in the fairing when I bought it, I did a lot of searching for fixes. I found one forum where a gentleman had used regular ABS cement. The kind plumbers use to glue ABS plastic pipe together. The plastic on my bike had broken into many pieces on the right side where it bolts on. I glued the salvageable parts together with gorilla glue and fitted them in on the main part of the fairing and dabbed on several coats of ABS cement and let set a couple days. Then I took a piece of plastic we use to make furniture patterns and glued it to the bottom with the metal plate that bolts the fairing down. Set the fairing back on the bike and just hand tightened the nuts and poured the ABS cement down in the bottom. I poured it a little thicker than what the plastic originally was and let it cure out for a week. I have rode this bike all summer and the fairing has held up great. I have also repaired several cracks that was in my saddle bags and luggage box and they are holding up great. It worked for me

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:49 am

A universal "fix-all" for our fairings and other plastic is ABS "slurry".

Buy a piece of black ABS pipe (used normally for drainage and sewer applications) and some ABS cement.

Take a rasp to the ABS pipe to generate a large pile of ABS "shavings". Pour the ABS cement into a steel or glass container, and add the shavings gradually, mixing as you go until you have a thick, black slurry. You have to keep in mind that you don't have a large amount of time to do this - if it starts hardening up, add some more ABS cement.

Once you've got the slurry, you can slop it on top of whatever you want to reinforce. It will melt and bond directly to the ABS you put it on. If you want, you can embed metal into it to create mounting points. Allow it to cure, and when it's fully cured, you have solid ABS remaining.

This technique is great for fixing cracks and reinforcing weak, repaired areas. It doesn't just add to the existing ABS, it becomes PART of it. For this reason, make sure you do it correctly, because once it's cured, there's no going back!

fireguy
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby fireguy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:18 pm

My old fairing had a number of cracks in it . So I went to the local plastics guy and he recommended "shaving" ABS with a rasp....then mixing them up into a slurry using only acetone as it is the solvent for ABS. I did it and the repair worked great as long as I was fairly quick and clamped the crack until the acetone evaporated. Once the solvent came out it became a solid repair.

You need lots and lots of shavings so don't be shy with rasping. Hope this helps.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”