Tire rubbing on Drive shaft bar

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
benmartsolf
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Tire rubbing on Drive shaft bar

Postby benmartsolf » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:03 pm

I was hoping someone could help me out. About a month ago I noticed my tire on my 1980 goldwing was rubbing against the drive shaft resulting in extreme wear on the side of the tire. I have since replaced the tire with a thinner tire and realized it wasnt because the tire was too big, but that the tire slides across the axle about a quarter of an inch causing this rub. Maybe an O ring blew out in the drive shaft or something? I was just checking to see if anyone else had this problem at any point and could help.

thanks,
Ben

biker4christ
Motorcycle: crashed 1982 GL1100A Aspencade-scrap heep

Re: Tire rubbing on Drive shaft bar

Postby biker4christ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:59 am

not too sure on the wings ,but harley's use spacers,you might be missing one, the tire should be in a fixed location,if its sliding,it could cause some major handleing issues,,just my .02$

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 am

"the tire slides across the axle about a quarter of an inch"

I don't think you mean the tire is mobile.

Do you mean the wheel is misaligned offset to the right on the axle but parallel to the long axis?
Or do you mean the wheel is misaligned toe out to the right?
Or do you mean the wheel aligns correctly but the swing arm itself is displaced?

Missing bushings, spacers or misinstallation are the likely cause. Did some one have the rear wheel off before this occurred?

DragonRider
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Postby DragonRider » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm

I had a rear tire rubbing on the drive shaft tube but solved the problem by lowering air pressure and eventually going down one tire size.
If your wheel/tire is sliding on the axle you are missing an axle spacer or you have a blown wheel bearing. in any case the tire rub is a minor concern a wheel moving side to side on the axle is dangerous and you need to get it fixed before you ride.
Now if tire hits the tube only in spots then your wheel may be bent slightly and that needs to also be looked at..

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”