My tale of Woe

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: Lost my 80 & 82 Goldwings
1999 Yamaha Venture

My tale of Woe

Postby HadCancer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:07 am

I bought 82 wing with 2,554 miles on it and 80 wing parts bike 50,000 miles on it witch threw a rod for 1000.00. 82 ran when I bought it. Wanted to take it to dealership to check out, but dealer was only working on snowmobiles in Nov., So found someone else that said he could restore. Promised bike would be done in May. He said ready for paint, so I bought paint and paint gun as he said he didn't have one. I Finally asked for the bike back, but guy never returned my many messages. I Finally got call from his mother. She said bike was there and son had gotten job in Wyoming. I went to the mother's house. Bike had all body parts, seat, and chrome removed. There was a bike battery not installed which I assume is the one I paid him to get. Called shop that works on old bikes as it was now May. They said there were backed up 2-3 weeks. Weeks came and went I called to find out where I was on the list. Shop manager said he decided he will not work on bike as he hates Goldwings. He knows he is the only shop in Klamath Falls Oregon that will repair older bikes. I ask about shops in Medford and he states there is no shop in Medford that will touch an 82 wing. I have found paint shop that will paint and put parts back on the bike, since he would do that anyway, so I go where I have bikes stored in Klamath Falls, Or. and install battery, but no joy. Either battery is dead or some electrical problem. Maybe short as wires are everywhere from fairing to tail light. I have a jumper battery which I am going to try tomorrow. Otherwise I will have to take my lumps on this one and sell as a mechanic special. I also got aftermarket driver back rest and chrome cup holder brand new still in the box along with "Ice crystal turquoise pearl paint and paint gun with extra clear coat.

Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Re: My tale of Woe

Postby DragonRider » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:32 am

Dont give up so fast. Battery may be the issue, just because you paid someone does not mean they really did the job. and from what you said maybe nothing at all was done. Paint and paint gun wont go bad so hold on for right now (besides any painter worth anything can do a great paint job on a bunch of plastic) lets get you up and running.
There may be no "shops" willing to work on old bikes in your area but that does not mean there is no one that is willing to tackle a challange. Most areas have a Goldwing group and these people generally are a world of knowledge. I would start at the local Honda dealership, ask them about any goldwing rider groups and then contact them. Also go to bike nights and ask around. dont give up the bike is worth it.
Wal-mart sells battery for the GL1100 (here in FL cost about $45.00) you will want to charge battery fully before you install it on bike and try it the first time.

Motorcycle: crashed 1982 GL1100A Aspencade-scrap heep

Postby biker4christ » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:49 pm

sorry your gettin the "runaround" on your scoot, dont give up on it, sounds like you got a good deal on em, and if the mileage is correct,you got allot of miles left on it.
just my oppinion,but take the advice and youll find someone to fix you up, if you lived in Mo id paint it for you very reasonably.
good luck and God bless :D

Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I wish I lived over by you, I would be happy to help you strip that sucker down sand it paint it, wire it back right, fix every little thing on it and get you riding just like I am now for free.. It's too bad this guy did this to you I would never do something like that to anyone ever..All I could do is wish you the best with it..Sorry this happened to you...

Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 and 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby 1982ghost » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:08 am

I feel for you as well but please dont give up on these bikes well worth the effort heck if you lived in my area my buddy and i would be more than happy to help you out we are restoring 2 bikes we bought for $550.00 for both one is a 1976 gl 1000 the other is a 1982 gl 1100 Aspencade we are going to restore both bikes I am new to wings but what I have learned so far is these bikes are fairly easy to work on and these guys here really know there stuff GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY endings

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Postby mbc251 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Where are you on your tale of woe?

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. NOT! I had to much fun getting here.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”