82 asp, radio amplifier wattage?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
biker4christ
Motorcycle: crashed 1982 GL1100A Aspencade-scrap heep

82 asp, radio amplifier wattage?

Postby biker4christ » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:57 pm

can anyone tell me how many watts the amp is on this bike? got some 4 ohm speakers but not enough watts for the amp,so it sounds like crap,after 1/2 volume,,thanks for any input on this :D

biker4christ

Re: 82 asp, radio amplifier wattage?

Postby biker4christ » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:05 am

really? i thought someone here would have an idea on this,, can somebody tell what watt speakers i should get? i cant hear it over 30 mph

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:35 am

It might not be the amp, but the speakers. Look at the sensitivity rating of the speakers. It will normally be specified as x dB /1W/1M. What this means is that if one watt of power is fed to the speaker, the speaker produces x dB (decibels - measure of sound pressure level) when measured one meter away from the speaker.

A speaker's sensitivity rating (sometimes called efficiency) tells you how effectively the speaker converts power into sound. The higher the number, the more efficient the speaker, and the louder the sound it creates with a given input signal.

An efficient speaker helps you maximize your available wattage. Believe it or not, a 3 dB increase in speaker sensitivity produces the same audible increase in volume as doubling your amplifier power. So when you're shopping for speakers, it always pays to check the sensitivity spec — especially if you have a lower-powered receiver or amp.

Cheap speakers may have a massive power rating on them - but a very low sensitivity, so while you can pump a ton of power into them, you HAVE to pump a ton of power into them to get a listenable sound. It costs more to manufacture sensitive speakers.

biker4christ

Postby biker4christ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:58 am

i know my amp is ok but if you dont have the proper wattage ,and ohms at the speakers it wont sound good, the reason i need to find out the watts the amp is pushing out is so i can get the correct watts in the speakers. i do know these bikes require a 4 ohm speaker but as far as watts it doesnt say,in the book or on the old speakers.
i have put together several very good sound systems in the past but all the info on ohms and watts was there,so it made it easier to do, if i can find the watt output of the amp i'll be able to get the correct speakers,the only reason i got the cheaper ones was because we had to take a long trip and was hoping to listen to the radio,but apparently the amp is pushin way over 25-50 watts,output

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”