1983 GL1100 CARB REBUILDING

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

1983 GL1100 CARB REBUILDING

Postby stevenstrack » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:26 am

I have a question concerning the small diameter "joint set b fuel tube" that attaches to #1 carb. I have been rebuilding an extra set of carburators for my GL1100I and one port I believe it's the number 1 carb I can't seem to get any air to pass through. I have tried soaking it in carb cleaner and blowing air through a compressor but this one port will not clear. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to clear, or is the end of passage and not supposed to allow fuel/air to pass?

One other question. I seem to keep having a problem with finding a good #3 carb. Backgound...The set of carbs on my Wing are running pretty good for a year now since I rebuilt them. During the rebuild a year ago i had to replace the #3 carb due to broken off idle mixture screw and then I won a set of carbs off e-bay except it's #3 carb idle mixture screw was broken off as well. I ended adding the carb from e-bay and repacked everything I could except for the idle screw. Thankfully it has been running pretty good, but I decided it was time to take the other three carbs and rebuild a "spare set". So I "won" another basket case off ebay and this was a sad case to say the least. Carbs looked like they sat in the ocean. My question is after hours of trying to remove the corrosion with 1000-2000 grit sand paper there still is some corrosion that it just seems impossible to remove. I was thinking about having them blasted in plastic media is this good or bad idea?

I'm posting pictures on my page in case anyone cares to take a look.

stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Re: 1983 GL1100 CARB REBUILDING

Postby stevenstrack » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:49 am

Correction...it's not the #3 its the #4 carb.

RobM
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: 1983 GL1100 CARB REBUILDING

Postby RobM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 pm

It is possible to get the broken part of the idle screw out of the carb throat opening. You have to be very gentle but it can be done, I was lucky enough to do it yesterday on my #3.

I took a regular sized paperclip and, using my bench grinder, ground about 1/2" down small enough to go into the jet opening without enlarging it. Once ground to the right size I bent the 1/2" to a 90 degree angle and worked it up into the hole. After a couple minutes of gently working it, the broken needle end popped out and the port is now open as it should be.

Hate to see a guy spend tons of money on more carbs if it's possible to fix the ones he has :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”