smoking 83 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bucky
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 interstate

smoking 83 Interstate

Postby bucky » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Gentlemen... I just fired up my 1983 GL Interstate, for the summer and the left side really smoked, the right smoked a little, but the left side really poured out the smoke. It smelled like exhaust and is ghost white. I have started it all winter long every month or so, it would smoke then go away. Not this time. Any ideas as to what is causing this. I planed to put new plugs in it this year, could this have anything to do with it? Also I noticed a puddle of gas on the manifold on the left side, I never saw any before. Thanks Bucky

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: smoking 83 Interstate

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

When you say it smells like "exhaust" - what does that smell like? Is it like burning oil? Kind of sweetish? Or just regular exhaust smell?

bucky
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 interstate

Postby bucky » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:34 pm

It just smells like exhaust. Not a oil burning smoke. After writing to you I went back started it up, no smoke. What gives with that? I have a feeling one or more of the carbs is leaking. The puddle of gas I said was on the manifold was actually on what I am going to call the top of the engine, below and behind the carbs. I also noticed the oil was over full, gas is about 1/2, it was full. I am assuming the gas leaked into the crank case. Is there any thing I should do before during or after I change the oil? I also noticed the little wiper in the oil window appears to be for the best part gone just a little chunk that I can see. I am assuming the gas got to it. P.S. I did not turn the gas valve off after my last winter start up. Yes I deserve 20 lashes over the eye ball with a wet noodle for that stunt.

DragonRider
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Postby DragonRider » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:57 am

if there is gas on top of engine from a leaking carb it still would not be getting into cylinder, so thats a seperate problem.
if bike was stored on side stand I am sure some oil has gotten into left cylinders and that is what is smoking.
I would change out oil and filter, change air filter, drain all four carbs, change out plugs and ride bike for abt 50 miles and see if problem continues. Since you did not mention a loss of power I assume all is good and you have some oil being burned off which is not uncommon.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”