Electrical thoughts please

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dmor1019
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition

Electrical thoughts please

Postby dmor1019 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Ok I need some help thinking this through, so any help will be great. I have an '82 wing with the factory fairing. Now I don't know the history of this bike so be kind to me here, it has the radio, the indicator for radio and volt meter on fairing just below windshield, has air suspension front and rear, but no on board computer. I am having trouble with the lights, I installed a Head Alert Series head light modulator with a by pass switch. Everything worked fine with the wiring and headlight out of fairing, but when I push everything back in I get a very dim head light and turn signals. I have a factory manual I am using to understand the wiring, but I am thinking I have a short some where. The PO's, have many blue wire connectors on several wires which I know aren't factory. So am I thinking correctly, or am I missing something? I am ready to remove all the wiring and start over, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel. :?

really2bald
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 standard

Re: Electrical thoughts please

Postby really2bald » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:15 pm

One thing I have discovered is that the factory connectors can be cleaned and have a good dielectric grease applied and they will work fine. Crimp connectors can be a pain though. A poorly done crimp can affect voltage through it. Crimps will also get corrosion inside and the voltage will drop or they will lose connection altogether. Moving the wire with a bad crimp can also affect this thus your connection problem of being good when out of the fairing compared to bad in the fairing. If any of the non factory connectors are crimps the pull them and soldier in a good quality connector and don't forget the grease.

dmor1019

Postby dmor1019 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks for the idea, I have an extra green wire with connector coming from headlight plug, so I took a piece of wire and stcuk it in there and touched the metal cover on the tach and wonderful light. So I will check and grease connectors while I remove those DARN blue things,

Thanks for your help :D

DragonRider
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Postby DragonRider » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:49 am

Dark green wires on hondas are usually ground wires.

inside the fairing is alot of wires, as I am sure you noticed. and many of those wires have fuses and/or fuseable links which can be a problem over time. and as you said you just got the bike. SO, lets assume that the last owner did some wireing and used cheap connectors. when you installed your item things worked, then you "pushed" the mass of wires back into that tight space, Oops big mistake.
I woul carefully pull mass back out and check "all" connections then once all is done and working good I would gently load wires back into fairing, NOTE it helps to remove both turn signals and pull wires GENTLY into fairing, I found things just tend to fit better.

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:09 am

Just my $0.02 worth....

When lights get dim (as you mentioned) this usually indicates a poor ground... this is because when lights that are in parallel lose their ground the will seek another ground or go through another bulb or system to ground and become in series with it... Remember in parallel circuits voltage is constant and current is additive, in series circuits the current is constant and the voltage is additive.... so if your headlight lost it's ground, it will try to find ground through say your running lights which when the ignition circuit is turned on will be connected through the ignition switch and the fuse block.... weird stuff, this grounding...

Rule of thumb is whenever you run a new (or even upgrade) an accessory or circuit on your bike, run a new ground (preferably from the negative terminal of the battery or main frame with the paint scraped off under the connection point) to it to eliminate any possibilities of problems...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

dmor1019

Postby dmor1019 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:18 am

I want to thank you all for your comments, it's sites like this that make owning an older bike much more enjoyable! :D :D

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:53 pm

I'm sure you will figure it out and when you do can you please post it, so many guy's get their problems fixed and never report back as to what the problem was so we could all learn from it, thanks in advance.. I'd really like to know what's causing this problem...

dmor1019

Postby dmor1019 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:44 am

I am in the process of checking ALL the connections with dielectric grease ,if I can't find it I will just run another ground from the extra ground at the headlight plug.

Again I want to thank everyone for their help

Denny

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”