82 GL1100 Valve job and paint job - Your thoughts?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
saltydawg1967
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

82 GL1100 Valve job and paint job - Your thoughts?

Postby saltydawg1967 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:28 pm

I took my heads off this week to change out the head gaskets since I was already there changing belts, valve stem seals, water pump, thermostat, etc. They looked pretty good but I took them to get them checked out anyways. Since this bike was given to me last year, I am just taking my time and doing things hopefully right and I don't mind spending a little bit of extra money since the bike was free. You can look at one my my posts here http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7032 to see most of the stuff I have done or am doing. There is more, but this list is a couple weeks old. Anyways, while they are at the machine shop getting checked out, any thoughts about things that need to be looked at on the while there are there? I mean besides the standard valve job, etc.

Also, I am thinking of having the bike repainted. Fairing, saddlebags, trunk, etc. What do you guys think about painting it black, or is that sacrilegious for Goldwings? :? Right now, its the OEM brown and beige colors. Not sure what to do.

DragonRider
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Re: 82 GL1100 Valve job and paint job - Your thoughts?

Postby DragonRider » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Straight black is good (I have seen factory '82 and '83 with black paint) I had my wifes '82 repainted with a 3 tone blue paint job that just pops.
I am saving my cash to repaint my '83 as wild as I can.

I have seen Goldwings from flameing pink to flat black the choice is yours, and with everything being made of plastic you dont have to worry about rust messing up your paint job.

biker4christ
Motorcycle: crashed 1982 GL1100A Aspencade-scrap heep

Re: 82 GL1100 Valve job and paint job - Your thoughts?

Postby biker4christ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 am

I have seen Goldwings from flameing pink to flat black the choice is yours, and with everything being made of plastic you dont have to worry about rust messing up your paint job.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as dranon says it you own personal preferance on paint, just make it you own,none other like it,and to do this is as simple as ,stripping,2tones,pearl or anything you like.
also as he said rust wont be a problem,just make sure your painter uses a good flex in all the paint including primer,and a good adhesion promoter,,good luck

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”