lost rear brakes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dph03
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

lost rear brakes

Postby dph03 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 pm

I was riding down a mountian in neutral for about 2 miles. When I went to break I had no rear breakes, It was zero. I then rode down the rest of the way in gear and rear breaks slowly came back. Know what causes this?

mbc251
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Re: lost rear brakes

Postby mbc251 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 pm

What you described is brake fade.

Your rear brake is probably draging slightly and caused them to over heat and fade. Check the rear brakes for complete release could be caliper hanging up or master cylinder return hole plugged.

I had a caliper hanging up I rebuilt that and installed EBC brakes, she sure stops now.

And NEVER coast down a hill, you don't have total control over your bike. I had a friend that did that once and hit the wrong line in an outside turn and before he could get the right gear for the speed down he went off the road and down the bank. Ruffly 150 feet down he and his bike quit tumbling, about 300 feet short of the bottom. So NEVER COAST down hill.

And he did live through it skinned and bruised and no insurance, he never coasted down hill again.
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. NOT! I had to much fun getting here.

DragonRider
Motorcycle: 1982 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencades

Postby DragonRider » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 pm

dph03 wrote:I was riding down a mountian in neutral for about 2 miles. When I went to break I had no rear breakes, It was zero. I then rode down the rest of the way in gear and rear breaks slowly came back. Know what causes this?

Riding 2 miles down a mountain in neutral is more of a concern than the brakes, the actions are completely Stupid and it may be illegal. The '82 GL1100A is a very heavy bike, what were you thinking?
When was the last time you serviced the brakes? is the fluid level good and clean? clean means no contaminates, I have seen a very small amount of dust cause major brake fade, and if the level is low you could get an air bubble in line causing brake fade.
On most bikes the front brakes produce about 80% of the breaking power, were you using the front brakes?
Please think of safety when riding you never know when things could happen.

dph03

Postby dph03 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks Guys! It was a slow grade, I was using my front brakes a bit I guess. WE were going slow, sight seeing and I didn't relize I was in neutral.
The fliud look good and clean. Also, it did not feel like a fade. The pedal had no resistance.
Anyhow, was just wondering what it could be. I m due inspection so I'll mention it to my mechanic. I was wondering if the rear breaks used air or something else??

Thanks!

mbc251
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Postby mbc251 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Brake fade will feel like there is no resistance in the pedal. I had many customers complain of that problem to find out they were riding there brakes on a down grade instead of using the correct gear to control thier speed.

I like I said check for a slight drag just enough to heat the pads, also if the pads are worn past the half way point they can heat faster the pad does help absorbe the heat and the orginal pads don't have the fade resistance of the newer ones.

I tip the scales at the 300# and my original brakes had a prob stopping me that is why I changed to the EBC and a stainless steel line for my back brakes, all my fade problems went by by.

Good luck and have fun riding.
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. NOT! I had to much fun getting here.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:40 pm

More importantly, you can do damage to your transmission. At idle, your engine is not pumping a whole lot of oil. Meanwhile, your wheel is spinning the output portion of your transmission at full speed. So you have a combination of transmission spinning at full speed, and not a whole lot of lubrication going on. Not a good recipe.

dph03

Postby dph03 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Got it!
Thanks Guys!
Dennis

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”