Greetings from Montana

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Lone Eagle
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing GL1100 Interstate

Greetings from Montana

Postby Lone Eagle » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:15 pm

I didn't see a "Welcome" forum, so here goes.

After a 15 year hiatus on two-wheelers, my wife decided to get me a "new" bike for my birthday. A friend of ours had just upgraded to a Harley Lectra-glide, and offered us his '82 GL1100 Interstate for $1000. I've always liked the looks of the Wings over the "Rolling Thunder" bikes, so she dropped the hammer on it. Here's what I ended up with:

Needs the front fender repainted and clear-seal redone on the fairing/bags, but this was one of the "selling points"

He had just had the 35K service done, including new timing belts, hoses, fuel filter, brakes/rotors, new water pump/thermostat/cap, front forks overhauled with the newer progressive springs, and complete tune-up with Iridium plugs and new wires. It sports 2 brand new Dunlop D404 tires(which I had to do the "torque brace mod on the rear...more on that later), and handles like a dream. The seat/back rest has just been reupholstered as well. He wasn't comfortable with just the single brake light on the rear, and did this:

He said the lower bar was from an '84 Goldwing, and he had to modify it for the bolt under the seat. He added the 4 King lights in 1986, as well as a heavy-duty stator. He had a honking set of fog lights on it, but I took them off, and plan on going with something a lot smaller than 100W per bulb. :shock: I've picked out a set of small chrome "teardrop" lights locally that are only 35W per bulb, and add that classic touch to this classic bike.

I've put almost 100 miles on mine in the last month, and getting ready to get my endorsement back in a couple of weeks so I can hit the open road. The bike in the background of the light bar pic? My dad's '82 GL1100 with Hondaline fairing and "suitcase" saddle bags(if you know who made these, please speak up):

Here's what I plan on doing to it in the future:

-Fairing speakers/wiring/small amp so I can run my XM/.mp3 player. I have a cheap 60W low-draw Jensen I've used for years.
-Redo the clear-seal and remove pin stripes. Going with the solid look.
-replace exhaust with the new stainless steel one from Saber Cycle($700+ride) Mine has a major case of swiss cheese look on the backside.
-replace rusty back plate on trunk pad(stay tuned if my partner can come through on the CNC work)
-Replace valve covers with polished set I have.
-Replace a few rusted nuts/bolts this winter
-Replace the fairing/saddlebag reflectors with LED lights
-Relamp the light bar/King lights with LED bulbs
-Highway pegs and running boards
-replace missing left fairing pocket cover(dad knows how to make one, just have to get the material)

Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Greetings from Montana

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Welcome to the site, the guy's here are great, the host WingAdmin. is a pretty good fella ....Nice bikes in the photo's, hope to hear alot from you...

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Re: Greetings from Montana

Postby macka » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Said "suitcases" are Hondaline luggage. I like the fact they don't have high speed flip lids :geek: but hey One of the Vendors here sells lid keepers which are a good idea. And Welcome from the top of the big pond.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”