Idle Mixture

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
florida_ump
Motorcycle: '83 GL1100 Aspencade

Idle Mixture

Postby florida_ump » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Good day to all. I am having a rich mixture issue. I am going to sync the carbs tomorrow, and I am wondering if this will cure the mixture issue as well. I think its rich due to a little lag when getting into the throttle, a bit of a raw gas smell rom the exhaust. I had a plug foul out last night, so I am changing plugs as well. Any ideas?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Idle Mixture

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Syncing the carbs will stabilize the engine response in the 1000-2500 rpm range.Vacuum adjust them within 1" at 1000 rpm.<<<<<Keep those 2 numbers in mind.

If one carb is off,it can lead to overloading a cylinder with too much fuel.

Also keep in mind that the bike has 2 timing advance systems.
The first is a mechanical advance and the second is vacuum operated.
Combined,they will(or should) advance the the ignition to 38.5 degrees BTDC at 3000 rpm.
If one or the other or even both have a problem,full vacuum advance won't be achieved and torque drops off in that range (1200-3000 rpm).

florida_ump

Postby florida_ump » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks Virgil, but my problem just got deeper. I thought I was fouling a plug, but in fact, I'm actually losing cylinders 1,3,&4. When cool, it runs with the previously stated little lag, but what I thought was a fouled plug is actually those cylinders dropping off line. I think I actually heard a click then the bike died. I removed one spark plug wire at a time and found #2 to be the only one firing. I checked and I get spark at the others but they're not operating. Because of spark, I have to assume that the ignition coil is good. This bike is my only transport right now so any help is greatly appreciated.

florida_ump

Postby florida_ump » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Update. So I tried switching coils to see if issue followed. It did not. And also with enough throttle, I can keep the bike going with #2 wire off the plug. So it's not the coils plugs or wires I'm pretty sure. What now? Is this a timing/timing advance issue? I want to sync the carve, bot the bike won't idle long enough to accomplish it. Please help!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Look at the plugs,If there black or wet,too much fuel or poor compression.
If they are clean,then not enough fuel.

If it's fuel starved,here are the listed causes.
1.vacuum in the tank(pull the cap)
2.low or poor fuel delivery.Filter plugged,bad pump,etc.Pull the plugs,kill the spark,pull the fuel line and test for 2-2.5 psi and flow.
3 plugged micro screens under the needle valve.Pull th carbs.

mbeerman
Motorcycle: 1983 INTERSTATE

Postby mbeerman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I had the same symptoms with my 83 Gl1100. I tried to adjust my idle mixture and even when I turned the screws all the way in, (lean), it was still idling way too rich. I found that when I pulled the plugs off of the vacuum adapters that the bike idled much better, sure sign that the carbs were not metering fuel properly. I did a carb overhaul and it solved the problems. It may seem daunting at first but there is a lot of good info on the web to help you. Get the Randakk kit for your bike, you will not regret it. I also purchased a carb adjusting tool, a screwdriver with a 90 degree bend in the end to adjust the idle mix. I hope this helps you get your bike running well again.

Jimsfirstwing
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100

Postby Jimsfirstwing » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:18 pm

mbeerman wrote:I had the same symptoms with my 83 Gl1100. I tried to adjust my idle mixture and even when I turned the screws all the way in, (lean), it was still idling way too rich. I found that when I pulled the plugs off of the vacuum adapters that the bike idled much better, sure sign that the carbs were not metering fuel properly. I did a carb overhaul and it solved the problems. It may seem daunting at first but there is a lot of good info on the web to help you. Get the Randakk kit for your bike, you will not regret it. I also purchased a carb adjusting tool, a screwdriver with a 90 degree bend in the end to adjust the idle mix. I hope this helps you get your bike running well again.

What specific brand of screwdriver did you get and from where? I have a 81 gl1100 that I need to use it on and there are a lot of types and opinions.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Syncing the carbs should be the last step in smoothing the engine. Everything has to be spot on. Valve adjustments, timing, air filter, head gaskets, vacume leaks, carb rebuild or adjustments/cleaning. Even the exhaust gaskets can affect sync. Otherwise, you will just be chasing your tail to get them balanced.
Take care of the little things first- then do sync. Regards, Johnyy

Jimsfirstwing
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100

Postby Jimsfirstwing » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Johnyy Smoke wrote:Syncing the carbs should be the last step in smoothing the engine. Everything has to be spot on. Valve adjustments, timing, air filter, head gaskets, vacume leaks, carb rebuild or adjustments/cleaning. Even the exhaust gaskets can affect sync. Otherwise, you will just be chasing your tail to get them balanced.
Take care of the little things first- then do sync. Regards, Johnyy

Ok, I've tried pre-setting idle mixture screws to 2 turns from seat. Once I did this, bike runs great cold but once it warms up, it doesn't want to idle down between shifts. I have to load the motor down with brakes and such to get it to idle speed.
Any ideas?
ps. carbs were pretty close on sync.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”