How to wire in a volt meter?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

How to wire in a volt meter?

Postby Britanicus » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:31 am

My Ole girl has a volt meter in it but it is dead. I finally got around to checking into it and found that it was not hooked up at all. I know it is prolly too old to be good but what I don't know is how to replace it.

How does it wire up etc anyone with some pics and advice would sure be appreciated.

Along the same line there is a cigerette type lighter socket in my fairing as well that is not hooked up. I don't need it to light cigerettes but it would be nice to plug in a GPS. Any ideas on how and where I would wire that up?

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: How to wire in a volt meter?

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Inside the fairing ,the stock wiring harness has a connection for the volt meter. green wire,black wire and light brown wire. they connect to the meter,green is ground,black is power,brown is for the back light power. The meter is slow to respond to changes in voltage(20-30 seconds) so dont expect instant responses .

As for the Cig lighter you can wire it directly to the battery with an inline fuse(hot all the time) or through a relay triggered by the Acc. terminal (hot with the key on only).

If you cant find a replacement stock volt meter I have one .

Ride safe,Todd
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”