Starter and suspension.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Starter and suspension.

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:05 pm

The rain stopped. The new belts are on. The cracked fairing is fixed. The new battery is in. Th esun came out and it got up to 60 degrees. So I finally got to go for a ride on the Goldwing.

I went out to start it and the new battery still had juice, but when I hit the button it kind of bumped the engine a bit, and then I heard a high pitched whine, like the starter was running but not turning the engine over. It did this for about 5 times. I tried it with the kill switch off, and it seemed to be able to stay engaged. Maybe it was justa coincidence? Then I turned the kill switch back to running position and it started up just fine. It hadn't done that before so I don't know what was going on.

So I did get it started and went for a short ride. It was my first ride on a Goldwing, other than when I test rode it. I must say I was impressed. The bike ran well. It seemed like it was bottoming out on the bumps? Is that normal to occasionally bottom out on the back end. Does that means my air suspension is bad?

I noticed that when I put the bike vertical off the side stand, and especially when I raise the side stand, it seems like the bike goes down about 2 or 3 inches. Is that normal?

I will check the air pressure in the back tomorrow. The front had the recomended pressure, I think it was 25 pounds.

The bike rode really well, it was just the heavy bumps that it bottomed out on. As I said I've never ridden a Goldwing before, so I'm nt sure if this is normal, or if there is something wrong?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Dennis

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Starter and suspension.

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:47 am

Mine does the same thing (drop down a couple inches when going from the sidestand to upright). It doesn't always do it, but I have noticed it. My air suspension doesn't leak, and there are no other problems - so I'm assuming it's normal behavior.

The kill switch has nothing to do with the starter. There is only one thing that controls the starter: the starter solenoid. If the starter continues to run when you are not holding the starter button, then the solenoid is hanging up. Sometimes you can give it a whack and it will release. But you may want to pull it apart and check it out.

If the starter engages momentarily and then just runs with a whine (without turning the engine over) then the starter clutch is not engaging. This can be a couple things: insufficient voltage (discharged battery) or faulty/dirty starter clutch.

Discharged battery is a simple thing to fix. The starter clutch is a bit more difficult, but is not the end of the world.

CapnDenny1

Postby CapnDenny1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's good news that the suspension is normal to do that.

I looked at the How-To Atcile for the starter, and it doesn't mention the starter clutch.

Does the bottoming out indicate the air prssure is low, or is that also normal to occasionally bottom out?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Starter clutch is actually part of the stator rotor - it's a sprag clutch. A lot of times thick oil can cause it to malfunction. A good indication this is your problem is if the problem only occurs when the bike is cold, but goes away when the engine is warm. If that's the case, you might want to try a thinner grade oil.

You shouldn't be bottoming out. If you've got the air pressure in the normal range, and you're still bottoming out, you might be looking at some springs that need to be replaced.

CapnDenny1

Postby CapnDenny1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:35 pm

OK, I checked the air pressure in the shocks tonight. The rear pressure was about 10 psi. The recomended is 20 to 57 psi. There is some confusion as to the actual pressure, but there is a nice little sticker right next to the valve on the rear suspension that clearly says 20-57 psi, although it's in metric. So I pumped it up to around 5O-55 psi. As I did this the rear of the bike raised up, IT's ALIVE! Thta's a good sign. I suppose the fact that it only had 10 psi in there could account for the bottoming out? Ya think?

Thanks for the help.

Dennis

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 am

It certainly could, especially if you had any sort of load on there. Go out now and see if it makes any difference!

CapnDenny1

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Cool beans. I finally got a nice day on the weekend and my wife and I went for a ride. I put about 50 lbs in teh back shocks and about 20 in the front. I noticed right away the bike sat a lot higher. Even with both of us on there it didn't bottom out. Cool beans.

I really like the way the bike rides. I kept thinking, this fairing doesn't really seem to be doing much, and then I would stick my hand outside it and feel the wind and notice I was doing 70. When I was do 70 on my other Suzuki Marauder, you know it. The bike handles really nicely as long as you are above 20. Starting and stopping is another matter. Still it was a great ride. I think my wife liked it also but we could have had a little more room. We are starting back to the gym tomorrow.

I ran a full tank of gas through it today with a half can of sea foam. It's running really well. I can't wait till I can ride it again.

Thanks again for all the help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:13 pm

CapnDenny1 wrote:The bike handles really nicely as long as you are above 20. Starting and stopping is another matter.

That's what I said as well when I first got mine. You get used to it - starting and stopping becomes smooth and effortless, and with practice, low speed (walking speed) becomes second nature. You need to get used to the weight of the bike, and the range in which you need to keep it upright in order to not have it fall over (or feel like it will!). Dragging the rear brake and feathering the clutch will make the slow speed stuff a breeze. Go to a parking lot and practice for a while - it's what I did!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”